2186 hard starting cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a nice used 2186 from my local dealer Curtis outdoor products real good dealer. Only problem is it seams to be hard starting when cold. But once started it runs great cuts great. I did not verify compression but i have a good standing with dealer and he said it was good so i trusted him. I was looking at a 7900 and steered me toward this saw so i dont think he was look for himself because im sure he could make more off a new saw than a used one.

Wayne

How low do you have the idle set? I would retune it and make sure your high idle feature is working. Some of them have plastic levers on the carbs which breaks off on few saws making the high idle not function.

Try richening up the low jet a little bit as well. My 385 is super easy to start, but it does like fuel, and doesn't seem to flood as easy as other huskies. It may also need a carb kit

I will try to give it a little low speed fuel. i believe the low speed kick up is working it does run at a higher rpm when it starts. It just seems that it should start in 5-6 pulls with the choke on. But it seems that it will fire once with choke then i need to turn choke off but leave high idle thing engaged and then it will start 15-20 pulls total. seems like alot to me.
thanks wayne

Ya, that ain't right. Mine pops with one to two choked, one to two to fire it up after it pops. If it starts fine hot, it's probably not compression or spark. Mine needed a carb kit at about 7 years old.

Latest posts

Back