2260 562xp wont idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzklrz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi gang,
Anyone have any experience with this issue... My 2260 el-46 carb will run balls out but stumbles and falls flat on its face idling. I can restart it, squeeze the throttle but as soon as I let go the saw stops. I already tried swapping out the el-46 for a el-44, I installed the electronics from the 46 onto the 44 and the same problem is there. I haven't had time to tear into the saw more. Would this be a flywheel or ignition/coil problem? I hooked up the diagnostics tool and no codes came up for the auto tune. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

you may have to swap the coil to match the new carb and install the el48. if your saws passes vac and pressure ,has good compression,doesnt have a leaking decomp,doesn't have a bad fuel line,doesnt have a kinked fuel line,doesnt have a clogged up filter,and the vent works correct,,, your heading toward the coil and carb upgrade.

thanks for the reply. I'm really hoping its not crank seals, the saw only has 29hrs on it. Always maintained, all filters are clean, fresh 91 octane mix. I will do a compression test and see what I find. I have 2 562's and this 2260, I absolutely love them but the issues I've had on the 2011 562 and now this 2013 2260 are getting on my nerves. I have a new coil/ignition for the el-48 carb I can also try swapping to see if that helps.

just make sure when swapping coils and carbs that you keep the right combo together. the coils put out differently. if the coil is not the right one for the software that's in the carb it sure will not run correctly.

yes sir, that I know. I will take swap an el-48 carb/coil off my newest 562 and give that a shot. Thanks for the help!! I remember reading somewhere here that a guy swaped out his el-46 for a el-44 and just changed the auto tune wire harness and it solved his issue of no idle. Didn't work in my situation so I will dig a bit deeper.

Does anyone know the part number for the coil on a 2260 that matches the EL48 carburetor?

Yes, you'll need to plug in to the Mothership to pair the carb and the ignition. Iircc you can use any carb with any ignition as long as you enter each in to the Autotune program.
Unfortunately that means a trip to the dealer.
2stroker

thanks for the reply. I'm really hoping its not crank seals, the saw only has 29hrs on it. Always maintained, all filters are clean, fresh 91 octane mix. I will do a compression test and see what I find. I have 2 562's and this 2260, I absolutely love them but the issues I've had on the 2011 562 and now this 2013 2260 are getting on my nerves. I have a new coil/ignition for the el-48 carb I can also try swapping to see if that helps.
I am a log cutter in Washington State with two of these saws and I hate them. Yes they run fine full out but thats it. I have problems with them if its too cold, or too hot. If warmed up and let set for five minutes need choked to start and often flood rather than fire. Just got one out of the shop that wouldn't idle. They replaced a crank seal and spray nozzle in the carb. Auto tune my ass.

Back