24" Bar comparison - stihl cannon tsumura sugihara

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tsumura makes .050" bars for total in husky mount. Probably stihl mount too in the US. Canada uses .058" and .063" for husky and stihl.

I checked some cannon and Oregon bar grooves when new and cannon was .002-.003" and Oregon was .005-006" bigger than the .063". The chain rides with less side to side pull in a cannon than the Oregon. Never checked a tsumura with feeler gauges.

Bumping this up because I'm thinking about a 24" lightweight bar for my 441R-CM... Anybody heard anything about Cannon bringing out a lightweight?

I did measure the bar grooves.
I don't know exactly why the custom bars perform better but my guess is that it could be any of the following...

- grooves are more true
- grooves are cut cleaner
- better metal used

The grooves might be more true, but if the light weight bars flex more it might not matter.

I would think the Cannon would be the tighest tolerances as they are handmade 1 at a time to within .002".

I checked some cannon and Oregon bar grooves when new and cannon was .002-.003" and Oregon was .005-006" bigger than the .063". The chain rides with less side to side pull in a cannon than the Oregon. Never checked a tsumura with feeler gauges.

I saw the bar groove depth was measured, which may play a role, but that's an interesting point about width. I wonder if anyone can take some feeler gauges or a caliper and measure the bar groove width on a Tsumura?

This surely is interesting, but we don't know the exact state of the chain or the wood on each cut, so I hardly will call it conclusive.

The tendency is clear though, and confirmed by your other trials!

Latest posts

Back