24" Bar comparison - stihl cannon tsumura sugihara

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This surely is interesting, but we don't know the exact state of the chain or the wood on each cut, so I hardly will call it conclusive.

The tendency is clear though, and confirmed by your other trials!

fyi - I always test with brand new chains. So each bar had it's own new chain.

no I buy factory new, use them for the test. then sell.

doing it this way is the only way to eliminate such a major variable. IMO

Not all loops are the same out of the box, so I would prefer to file them a couple of strokes, and check the rakers. This is just an opinion though, not necessarily the final answer.

Anyway, it looks like the pendulum is swinging in favor of Tsumura/Total - which hardly is a surprise!

l think new chain does vary a lot but if your using new chain off the same roll.......tis about as fair/consistant as it gets. l think Redbull has got good at testing stuff and limiting variables. lts all to easy to be a keybord expert and find an imperfection.....we all do it l suppose, but l respect guys giving stuff a go and documenting results.

l think new chain does vary a lot but if your using new chain off the same roll.......tis about as fair/consistant as it gets. l think Redbull has got good at testing stuff and limiting variables. lts all to easy to be a keybord expert and find an imperfection.....we all do it l suppose, but l respect guys giving stuff a go and documenting results.
I agree and would like to add 2 things;

1. That putting the videos up lets each keyboard king see some of the variables, which allows the kings to take them into account, if they choose to.
2. Giving a go and testing, documenting, then posting brings about the opportunity for anyone to add their thoughts. This sheds new light, and sometimes it aint the kind of spotlight thats appreciated.

I'm having a difficult time finding good bars for sale. I was originally looking for two sugi's, in 24". One for my dads 044 and one for my 044. The sellers on ebay sold out. Now I think I'd like to go with tsumura or total, but the dealers for those are even harder to find. Best recommended place for the Total/Tsumura?

I'm having a difficult time finding good bars for sale. I was originally looking for two sugi's, in 24". One for my dads 044 and one for my 044. The sellers on ebay sold out. Now I think I'd like to go with tsumura or total, but the dealers for those are even harder to find. Best recommended place for the Total/Tsumura?

Tsumara can be bought from Canada from an eBay seller. Sugi is carried by HL Supply.

@thechainsawguy and @fordf150 are both great for getting total/tsumara

I got this 24" Sugi from a shop in Indiana last month. I have their name at work, I'll look it up tomorrow and get back to ya'. It is the PERFECT all purpose setup for my ported 441 M-Tronic. That thing is such a great saw, so comfortable, strong and easy to "live with" (always in tune, filter stays clean, great fuel mileage) - I really really love it. I continually grab it even when a smaller saw would do.

I got this 24" Sugi from a shop in Indiana last month. I have their name at work, I'll look it up tomorrow and get back to ya'. It is the PERFECT all purpose setup for my ported 441 M-Tronic. That thing is such a great saw, so comfortable, strong and easy to "live with" (always in tune, filter stays clean, great fuel mileage) - I really really love it. I continually grab it even when a smaller saw would do.

My local shop just talked me out of getting one of the new ones, said the carbs are weird and the saw won't run right if you don't "scream" it all the time.

My local shop just talked me out of getting one of the new ones, said the carbs are weird and the saw won't run right if you don't "scream" it all the time.
Not sure what they mean? Surely they aren't recommending cutting at partial throttle? Mine runs smooth yet "mean" - definitely has attitude, yet is the easiest starting saw I have ever run, hot or cold. Idles perfectly too. Never had more confidence in a chainsaw. Responds as well with the 8-pin and a light hand as it does with a 7-pin and cranking on it. Very flexible, and yes, more than willing to rev.

Not sure what they mean? Surely they aren't recommending cutting at partial throttle? Mine runs smooth yet "mean" - definitely has attitude, yet is the easiest starting saw I have ever run, hot or cold. Idles perfectly too. Never had more confidence in a chainsaw. Responds as well with the 8-pin and a light hand as it does with a 7-pin and cranking on it. Very flexible, and yes, more than willing to rev.

I was inquiring about a 261. They told me the carb was electronic and that it would run like crap if it wasn't full throttle all the time.

I was inquiring about a 261. They told me the carb was electronic and that it would run like crap if it wasn't full throttle all the time.
Complete nonsense, but partial throttle cutting is not a good idea in general given the extremely modest capabilities of any chainsaw carb.

The one in Canada doesn't carry the .050. Google yielded the shop in Ohio, I see now it's fordf150, but as goes with google searches I couldn't tell if he was still open or not.

He does like most of the world, and stays with .058 and .063 in .325 and 3/8" - which makes the most sense the way chains are configured today.
The only valid reason to want .050 today is local availability of chain, in the areas where it for some odd reason is the most common gauge.

All 2 strokes should be ran wide open. if not ran wide open many problems can occur .
Well, that could pose a health problem for me if that includes my YZ250 - that thing is a maniac. I have had racing 2-strokes since the mid 1970's, and I've never, ever ridden one as fast as this one (including a CR500R I used to ride).

He does like most of the world, and stays with .058 and .063 in .325 and 3/8" - which makes the most sense the way chains are configured today.
The only valid reason to want .050 today is local availability of chain, in the areas where it for some odd reason is the most common gauge.
Unless you consider the .08 to .13 of metal, times the number of drive links, in total weight savings on the spinning chain. Surely could be a factor in limbing and cookie cutting. :innocent: :laughing:

Latest posts

Back