24" chain Dolmar vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

66mag

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 24" bars on both my Stihl 066 and Dolmar 7900. They both use the same chain, .375 x .50, 84 links. I find on the Dolmar I had to remove a link because with a new chain on, I was already at the end of my adjustment, before chain stretch. Have any of you other 7900 owners run into this problem?

yup, bar makes a big difference.

Same thing with the 5100. I won't use a certain brand beacuse their bars require a smaller link chain after the chain stretches with the recommended DL.

Another thing you can do is put a bigger rim on it, if you haven't already.

Isn't that bar in Stihl brand actually referred to as a 25" bar? That might be the difference in your extra drive link.

Matt

Thanks for all the replies. I am using a power match husky mount bar for the dolmar, and a stihl bar for the 066. All the references I've read say they should both use the same chain.... 84 drive links. I think the dolmar's chain tensioning system might slightly limit travel, but I don't know.

You shouldn't have any problems swapping 84 DL chain from one saw to the next. Make sure the chain tensioner stud is in the correct hole on the bar.

huh, some of the old bars had two holes, but haven't seen a newer powermatch with two holes....

couldnt you drill a new hole for the dawg?

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back