242 won't idle and eventually bogs down on it's own, air leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gushh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Whether I set the L screw lean or rich it just won't idle, eventually it bogs down on it's own.

If I want it to "idle" I have to push on the throttle to keep it running (and it's not the idle screw, since I'm pushing it way higher rev than a normal idle would be)

I noticed a bit of racing earlier, could it be an air leak, any ideas on where it could be?

Could it be a cracked carb boot or gasket? -- Let's say I put the idle screw all the way in, the saw still won't idle.

However It was idling fine the other day... Power wise it's fine, the H jet is set correctly and I can cut fine, although if this is a leak then I should not use it at all until I find it... But still, I'm open to your suggestions!

Any takers?, L set to turn and a half won't make it idle, two turns or one turn won't either...

Compression on this saw isn't top notch, but it's got plenty power. So I'm thinking carb or leak. It can't be the impulse because the H is doing great...

Thanks

it's not punctured nor obstructed, after all the high-end of the engine is fine, any other ideas? :(

it's not punctured nor obstructed, after all the high-end of the engine is fine, any other ideas? :(

It might have a small in the tank or some were in the line if it is hard or even show's tiny crack's might be sucking air maby just a thought that is what i would check hope this help's.If it has been awile since it has been run it might nave something in the impluse hole.Hope this help's

The acceleration is pretty snappy though, wouldn't a bad L cause a slow / delayed rev up?
I'm puzzled by this... It's usually something obvious, but this is not the case :(

If when idling it's slowing down and dieing it's getting too much fuel (leaky needle valve, stiff diaphram), a air leak or bad fuel line would cause it too speed up and die. Steve

Well, I took the top cover off the walbro carb, the mesh was full of sawdust and other stuff... I'm not sure if there's a secondary mesh/strainer filter inside this carb, I never had to take it apart before. But pretty sure that was a factor in the poor idling.

Seeing as that was dirty, maybe there's more crud inside... But we'll see.

I'll test it out soon and let you all know, hopefully it was that simple!

Blow the filter off and put it back on. Husqvarnas may stay cleaner than Stihls but they need to be maintained. Do a regular maintenance check before you do any repairing. New air filter thorough cleanup and go from there . There's no point In repairing it until its clean. Good luck to you let's see if we can get you going ?

Blow the filter off and put it back on. Husqvarnas may stay cleaner than Stihls but they need to be maintained. Do a regular maintenance check before you do any repairing. New air filter thorough cleanup and go from there . There's no point In repairing it until its clean. Good luck to you let's see if we can get you going ?

The air filter is always kept clean, I was mentioning the fuel strainer inside the carb, which was full of crud. I'm not too sure huskies are cleaner than stihls, depends on the use... oops, I just opened a massive can of worms didn't I?

We'll see if she runs now

And she runs! pop and start on the first pull, adjusted L a bit and put the idle screw back on it's place, it idles now although a bit rough but I need to adjust the carb on a cut and see how it does once it's all warmed up!

I think that was it, poop on the fuel strainer. My take is that the fuel couldn't get past all the stuff that was in there during idle, but it was able to run on high RPM because the flow was higher. I probably kept adjusting this problem off for a long while (I often tweak a little bit the carb after a few cuts until it feels right, in theory you shouldn't have to touch it unless there's something wrong... but now it makes sense, deposits will constantly change the characteristics of the carb and force you to minute adjustments until it adds up enough to inhibit proper idling and eventually running altogether!)

I'll add this step to the maintenance list from now on.

More to come...

Last edited:
Without going all conspiracy theory or whatever. What kind of fuel are you running? And what kind of gas can? Been reading quite a few ethanol and plastic gas can tales of a whitefish screen blocking sludge. Hope this doesn't turn this into either an ethanol conspiracy or oil thread.

Without going all conspiracy theory or whatever. What kind of fuel are you running? And what kind of gas can? Been reading quite a few ethanol and plastic gas can tales of a whitefish screen blocking sludge. Hope this doesn't turn this into either an ethanol conspiracy or oil thread.

the sludge was saw dust and what seemed like pocket lint to me, it was not plastic.

I use some old rubbermaid gas cans (red plastic, probably 2.7 gal or similar size, can't recall exactly), never had a problem with them. Don't think they put ethanol on our fuel just yet. I use "Super", not regular.

Sometimes when I'm not going to cut a lot I only mix small amounts using a generic mix can, haven't had any issues with them either.

she runs great now!
mystery solved!
thanks everyone!

Back