246 wont stay running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouachita

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
it will start and rev up easily enough but after 20-30 seconds it dies.this saw ran fine a year ago. its a friends saw and he was using it up until last summer. he told me just to take it and fix it. i could have it if i wanted it, he thinks it's the crank seales. he already checked/replaced the fuel line cleaned and tuned the carb checked the boot and gaskets pulled the cylinder, compression test, spark... no problems that he could find and he would know if he found one. its a well maintained and fairely clean machine. im not ruling out any of the things listed but where do i start

thank you guys. very cool vacum post. i had thought it might be carb related. would it be worth changing the seals since the saw is an older saw and has seen a lot of use? also baileys just shows a new carb, no rebuild kit. im sure i could find one if i looked around some but is this saw worth the 80$ new carb

how do you know when it is time to change the crank seals? there does not seem to be a lot of info here in the search function. maybe they dont go bad easily?

i also have a 51 that will start and seems to run fine for about a minute or two but will die if you try to cut with it. i have tried adjusting the carb on my bench and in the wood under load but it always seems to flood and die. it will idel forever though

thank you guys. very cool vacum post. i had thought it might be carb related. would it be worth changing the seals since the saw is an older saw and has seen a lot of use? also baileys just shows a new carb, no rebuild kit. im sure i could find one if i looked around some but is this saw worth the 80$ new carb

how do you know when it is time to change the crank seals? there does not seem to be a lot of info here in the search function. maybe they dont go bad easily?

i also have a 51 that will start and seems to run fine for about a minute or two but will die if you try to cut with it. i have tried adjusting the carb on my bench and in the wood under load but it always seems to flood and die. it will idel forever though
246=You should be able to find carb kit from your local dealer,he is gonna get it from aftermarket place.Dont spend 80.00 on carb unless you have to.Air leak usually gives an up and down idle,so if our idle is quite steady,you shoulde be air leak free.

55= Looks like you need cleaning the carb or a new kit.

Back