254/262 carb - difference between them

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the input BigDee and super3, writing down in my book now :D
My cylinders are only Kolbenschmitt brand, 1 with decomp valve (98), 2 withouth (88-89), and 1 cylinder who had thin ring piston (87).
I have another 87 cylinder as well, but with a broken fin :(

I just looked -- The twist drill I use to open up the air filters is 5/8, .625 in olde English. But I think it could be a bit larger and I'll bet a 16mm would work. I use the same bit to start the process on each side of the elbow, and finish it with a pocket knife.

I just looked -- The twist drill I use to open up the air filters it 5/8, .625 in olde English. But I think it could be a bit larger and I'll bet a 16mm would work. I use the same bit to start the process on each side of the elbow, and finish it with a pocket knife.
Thank you, me written down all the ideas you provide me with

I've studied the innlet and the elbow for the 254.
Using a 120 carburetor would just need a few modification on innlet&elbow to the 254.

a 87 carburetor is something else.
The elbow can be modded so it will work. Innlet is another story. It seems to little in size to do a modd big enough for a 87 carb. I see if I can get a good tube epoxy glue, and try to make one new one.

Picks to come to show the different from 254/262 innlet.

Hi,

I am into carbs nowadays :D

I have a collection HDA 35A, HDA 35B for the 254's.
A collection HDA 120, HDA 87 for the 262's.
I know the HDA 87 is the one to have for the 262, so all off those get a full carb cleaning and rebuild.

What is the different between the HDA 35, 120 and 144?

On all off them, the little fuel niddle inside have a plastic/rubber tip while a brand new ones have metal also on the tip.
Why? (Was the old niddle type a lousy one)

Anything else I should be aware off?
Thanks for any help and input.

Regards
Tor
Hello,
Would you be willing to sell one of your HDA-87 carbs to me?

Here is a picture of the innlet niddle, old plastic style to the left, the new style looks to be pure metal.
Actually, the silver-grey tipped needle in the photo looks exactly like the original HDA type from the 1980s - i.e. stainless steel with a shiny compressible tip. Never seen an orange-tipped one myself.

Latest posts

Back