261 vs 346

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbayer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I waas thinking about buying a 261 as they just became avialable here, but got to wondering which is faster and the better saw the 346 is a little cheaper but which is better in stock form.

The 261 is definitely a runner, no doubt about it.
Being an old, decrepit buzzard, I would probably still go with the 346XP at this point, but I would be happy with either one.
I guess a lot of the answer would depend on what its MAIN purpose will be.
If the limbing and light work are going to be its forte, the 346 will perform better.
If you want an all around felling, limbing, bucking saw, the 261 will probably outshine the 346.

JMHO

Mike

I guess a lot of the answer would depend on what its MAIN purpose will be.
If the limbing and light work are going to be its forte, the 346 will perform better.
If you want an all around felling, limbing, bucking saw, the 261 will probably outshine the 346.
Mike

+1

Having used both, I prefer the 346. The 261 is nicer for bucking but at that point, I would prefer to go with a bigger saw.

I have no idea about the 261 or a stock 346.Never used a 261 and had my 346 ported new.I do love my ported 346 which can buck some good size wood.But I will go along with wendell on the bigger saw for bucking.

+1

Having used both, I prefer the 346. The 261 is nicer for bucking but at that point, I would prefer to go with a bigger saw.

Lots of good points made already here, and this is one of them!

I don't think of a 50cc saw as mainly a bucking saw, and definately will stay with the 346xp. :D

If you're truly on the fence,

I would vote 346XP only because it's been out there for so long with an excellent track record. The 261 I'm sure is a great saw, but I'd wait another year to see if any longer term issues arise that Stihl may have to address.

I hate paying to be a company's Beta tester.

Take Care

Last edited:
If you're truly on the fence,

I would vote 346XP only because it's been out there for so long with an excellent track record. The 261 I'm sure is a great saw, but I'd wait another year to see if any longer term issues arise that Stihl may have to address.

I hate paying to be a company's Beta tester.

Take Care

Yep, come back in a couple years and ask this question. Let's let the 261 get some time under it's belt before we prematurely praise it as the best 50cc saw. After all that has been one of the knocks on the 346(from the Stihl heads) when comparing the 260 vs. 346 . :rolleyes: I just have to laugh when I see somone heaping praise on a saw that they've never run extensively. If at all!!!

Plain and simple, you need at least one of each:)

1094920685_AJ5oi-M.jpg

The wood is Pin Oak.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cyOPbMZEDlE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cyOPbMZEDlE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:notrolls2:
Plain and simple, you need at least one of each:)

1094920685_AJ5oi-M.jpg

Show-off:hmm3grin2orange:Just got back from the local Husky,Johnyred and now Efco dealer.He had no 346's but had everyother model.Jonnyred has a $150.00 off there high price if you bring in a junk saw.Asked why Efco and he said they had good luck with the Efco pole saws but for the price of an Efco you can get a Husky or Johnyred,oh well.Told him Efco was a good saw(they have alot of plastic on them) and there 60cc class saw was a beast ported.Then he asked is that all and I said no do you have an OEM ring for a 1980 Husky 44 Rancher and he said yes I do:bowdown: and after paying $10.00 it's mine.He must have been bored because we talked for like 1/2 hour:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
:notrolls2:

Show-off:hmm3grin2orange:Just got back from the local Husky,Johnyred and now Efco dealer.He had no 346's but had everyother model.Jonnyred has a $150.00 off there high price if you bring in a junk saw.Asked why Efco and he said they had good luck with the Efco pole saws but for the price of an Efco you can get a Husky or Johnyred,oh well.Told him Efco was a good saw(they have alot of plastic on them) and there 60cc class saw was a beast ported.Then he asked is that all and I said no do you have an OEM ring for a 1980 Husky 44 Rancher and he said yes I do:bowdown: and after paying $10.00 it's mine.He must have been bored because we talked for like 1/2 hour:hmm3grin2orange:

It's called baiting, next time he will reel you in a little.......he is waiting to set the hook :hmm3grin2orange:

TT

Lots of good points made already here, and this is one of them!

I don't think of a 50cc saw as mainly a bucking saw, and definately will stay with the 346xp. :D

I'm shocked you would stick with the 346, oh wait, sales are down, I forgets,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back