261 vs 346

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see the 261 has the same advantage over the 346 as the 346 had over the 260

one second faster.
back then it was a great argument;
now it`s just: "let`s wait another two years or so..."

pfff

:agree2:

Funny funny! :cheers:

I love both the 346 and 260. I can only imagine how nice the 261 is. The whole, "wait to make sure it does'nt have bugs" argument is the biased Huskyheads last attempt at keeping the 346 on top. :help:

Truth is, they are all good saws.

I just bought 346xp today because all I read is good reviews on it.I think it will go good with my 372xp.Probably the best 2 saws husky has made.One thing I have learned is not to be the first to jump on something new.Let people try it and see how it works.If its any good you will hear about it without asking.Had a Stihl 031 also a very good saw in its day.Stihl has a good reputation and I can not say anything bad about them.I might just own another someday.

Last edited:
:agree2:

Funny funny! :cheers:

I love both the 346 and 260. I can only imagine how nice the 261 is. The whole, "wait to make sure it does'nt have bugs" argument is the biased Huskyheads last attempt at keeping the 346 on top. :help:

Truth is, they are all good saws.

Not to start a war but didnt the stihlheads use that against the 346 back in the day? All I know is MY 346 beat the hell outta my EX turd 026. Now if the new 261 is anything like the 346 I may have to "try and buy" cause I do like how it looks.

the shortest road is the one you enjoy most.
my grandpa had a saw (for the life of me, I can`t remember the brand) that was both butt ugly and stone heavy. It was the best thing for him; never really understood why. maybe because he got his hands on it during the war (I think it was russian but not sure).

no matter who and what told him about newer and much better brands, he wouldn`t move an inch. He even tried few with various occasions and in the end he would say: "mine is way better"

he died and never let go of that beast of his; my father threw it away for nobody would want it. Boy I wish I still have it now....

It will be a limbing saw but I would also like it to handle some small to meium bucking. I always take my 064 and or pro mac 850 to but I dont want to take more than two saws usually.

So I waas thinking about buying a 261 as they just became avialable here, but got to wondering which is faster and the better saw the 346 is a little cheaper but which is better in stock form.

First off, MS261 is a sweet little saw and has a good bit more grunt than 026/260
It may be a small thing but with you already having 036,460 and 064.
Any and all of you Stihl bar and chains will work with 261.
As far as waiting to see if any bugs need to be worked out.
Stihl is very good about making sure the bugs are worked out before
releasing to the buying public. The fit and finish of 261 is outstanding
the 3 top cover locking screws (really not screws) lock like a vault door,
very solid and positive. The air filter, copied or not it's the best setup
I have ever used on any saw. Master control lever has been improved
big time it feels more like a switch on a high dollar car. More than what
you would think a switch would feel like on a saw. A big plus IMO over
346 is in board clutch. It is so easy to change rims and grease
the drum bearing on in-board clutch saws. Plus if you ever need to noodle a few
sticks of wood IB doesn't plug up as easy as OB clutch. The new
bar nuts on 261 wotk slick and are as handy as a pocket on a shirt.
Every saw should have these, I didn't think they would be any big
deal........I was wrong and the same goes for the air filter.

In no way would I buy E-tech 346 over MS261 or MS260 for that matter.
My 261 is pulling full length of 18 inch bar in dry White Oak with spike
dug in and me pulling on saw. From the 346 I used the MS261 is the
saw to get hands down. Stihl has a very good saw on their hands with this MS261!
But good luck with what ever saw you pick.

TT

I'm sure the 261 is a fine saw, but do not disregard the 346xp too quick.
Go and handle both saws and run them, if you can. Then pick the one you like best.

BTW, there are plenty of Non E-Tech 346s' out there, seems like more now
than a couple years ago.

Me, I would not trade my old 346 for a new 261. But that's just me. :cheers:

I'm sure the 261 is a fine saw, but do not disregard the 346xp too quick.
Go and handle both saws and run them, if you can. Then pick the one you like best.

BTW, there are plenty of Non E-Tech 346s' out there, seems like more now
than a couple years ago.

Me, I would not trade my old 346 for a new 261. But that's just me. :cheers:

Good post there. All this talk about these two saws is just that, talk. You'll find many that feel if a saw is 1 milli second faster than another it must be the saw to have, it must be better. Total BS. Run what you like and serves you well, thats what matters most,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Good post there. All this talk about these two saws is just that, talk. You'll find many that feel if a saw is 1 milli second faster than another it must be the saw to have, it must be better. Total BS. Run what you like and serves you well, thats what matters most,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thanks man! You are very right!

I can only comment from my own perspective. I have 10 years behind a 346xp, but have never seen, or laid a hand on a MS261.

I do look forward to trying out a 261 at some point. :cheers:

Stihl MS 261=3.75 hp.,50.2cc.,11.6 lbs.
Husqvarna 346xp=3.7hp.,50.1cc.,11.0 lbs.
These 2 saws spec as close as you can get but the Stihl is heavier and should cut faster.It has a bigger motor.

What have you done with Thall?!? Please send him back! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I shot him some rep just for his honesty and impartiality!:bowdown:

Back