261 with 3/8 chain, what do ya think??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck ya!! How do you get your angles right on the .325 chain? I tried it and it seemed like the lower tooth height made it almost impossible to get the correct angle. The file hits the tie strap long before I can get the angle close to right. It cut better than round, but It could be way better.
That chain is from a parts saw , a windsor. It does seemto have a little more wiggle room than .325 lpx but it may be where the cutter was after I evened em all up on my grinder. It had the ramped rakers i just narrowed em up a bit.

What size file are you using if you're having trouble filing the .325 chain?
My own preference,I generally use a one size smaller diameter file than recommended when I round file. I like to use the Windsor Premium files or Stihl files.:)

What size file are you using if you're having trouble filing the .325 chain?
My own preference,I generally use a one size smaller diameter file than recommended when I round file. I like to use the Windsor Premium files or Stihl files.:)

Square filing a loop of .325 LPX.
View attachment 189380

And that is not exactly how its supposed to look!:msp_unsure:

Last edited:
The .325 lpx is some very good cutting chain right out of the box. You can keep it that way or better with a goofy file. A 3/16 round file does a decent job just not like the factory grind or goofy will give you. You can also use a double bevel but if you go for the 45/45 angle it will cut into the tie straps, just adjust it back and less down untill it clears. Same thing on the 45 file tilt, just turn it closer to flat.

The .325 lpx is some very good cutting chain right out of the box. You can keep it that way or better with a goofy file. A 3/16 round file does a decent job just not like the factory grind or goofy will give you. You can also use a double bevel but if you go for the 45/45 angle it will cut into the tie straps, just adjust it back and less down untill it clears. Same thing on the 45 file tilt, just turn it closer to flat.

What files do you use for square?

What files do you use for square?

Righ now i'm using the last of a dozen save edge double bevels, they are decent but the corners are not real consistant and its best not to turn the file untill moving to the next cutter.
Wish someone would chime in with a suggestion.
What file you using?

Righ now i'm using the last of a dozen save edge double bevels, they are decent but the corners are not real consistant and its best not to turn the file untill moving to the next cutter.
Wish someone would chime in with a suggestion.
What file you using?

Save edge double bevel. Im just learning and have a long ways to go, but I can do OK.

Thinking about trying one of these.Bailey's - Vallorbe Single Bit Chisel File

The only way to really know what works best for you is to try the different options yourself - the topic is fun to discuss though! :msp_biggrin:

3/8 chain on 261

Glad you have dealers who entertain the reality that it is possible to put 3/8s on the 261. Locally, they refuse.

The bigger question I have been wondering while debating a 261 is if I run .325, does Stihl make an ES bar in that pitch. Looks like no at this point and the E bars have been a disappointment on my bigger saws.

Any reservations about using 3/8's chain on a 261 make no sense to me. I have an old tech 20 yr old John Deere Echo 50cc saw that I've used a 20" bar with 3/8's chain for as long as I've owned the saw. I can't imagine it has nearly the power of a 261, but it works just fine. Chain sharpness (or lack thereof) is a much bigger issue than chain size.

Any reservations about using 3/8's chain on a 261 make no sense to me. I have an old tech 20 yr old John Deere Echo 50cc saw that I've used a 20" bar with 3/8's chain for as long as I've owned the saw. I can't imagine it has nearly the power of a 261, but it works just fine. Chain sharpness (or lack thereof) is a much bigger issue than chain size.

Probably so. I used to run a 20'' bar and 3/8s on a husky 455 rancher with less power than any 50cc pro saw. It pulled it good as long as I didn't crowd it.

I think it hard to compare cc for cc. Take an old 50cc saw that barely turns 10 grand and puts out good torque, and try to compare it to a high reving 346 or 261. Same size,,, but no where near apples for apples.

Sure a 261 would pull 3/8s, but it would be faster and smoother with .325.

I'd take a little slow for convenience of not carrying another file and bar just for a certain chain pitch.

Mostly I was amused that the dealer said they were waiting on a kit from Stihl. I took off the clutch cover and said, lets put a different sprocket on and match the bar.

I have been pretty impressed with the .325 I have run on other saws, but they were loaners.

I'd take a little slow for convenience of not carrying another file and bar just for a certain chain pitch.

Mostly I was amused that the dealer said they were waiting on a kit from Stihl. I took off the clutch cover and said, lets put a different sprocket on and match the bar.

I have been pretty impressed with the .325 I have run on other saws, but they were loaners.

Im about in the same boat. I plan on changing over my 346 to 3/8s just for the reason that everything will be simpler and all my saws will be the same pitch and gauge. I know im gonna lose a small bit of performance when I do though.

I have one of the vallorbee files like that. I didn't like it as good as the save edge or pferd. It is more flexible and you only have 2 corners instead of 4. The little triangle files I give you might work better on the .325" chain. The people that I talked to on hand filing say you should be filing into the straps some for the best angles.

Here's a 3/8s posted from my phone. Its not the best, but it works good.
photobucket-4375-1309816420850.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g329/komatsuvarna/photobucket-4375-1309816420850.jpg

Last edited:
MCW site sponsor running a 3/8 chain 20 inch bar on a MS261

[video=youtube;fXG38RL7lno]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXG38RL7lno[/video]

Latest posts

Back