262 clutch 3/8 vs .325

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwiz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Finally finishing a rebuild 261 conversion to 262. Ready to start it and the chain would not roll. Previous owner had been running a .325 bar and chain with a 3/8 rim gear.
I picked up a .325 rim today not realizing I also needed a clutch drum.
Can I now just buy the .325 drum and use my old bearing, or is something else not going to fit?
Thanks
James

I did some searching here and see 3/8 recommended repeatedly. Guess I will get a different bar and chain. Thanks.

You can only run 9 pin 325 on that saw as It takes a large spline rim. If your rim has less teeth, it's the wrong one. A new drum won't fix it. You need the right rim. Oregon sd7 3/8 7 tooth is part# 68210. 9 tooth 325 is part #13624 for you drum. The larger 9 tooth gear often necessitates an extra drive link in the chain.

You need the right size rim for the drum, small spline or large spline. Believe that saw takes large. You can use either .325 or 3/8. I'd run 3/8 on it.

I understand that over here those saws came with a small 7-spline drum and .325 - but would not be surpriced if the US ones came with 3/8x7.
Different 3/8"x7 rims are made for both small and standard (large) 7-spline drums, but the Husky 60cc saws that come with 3/8 had/has the standard 7-spline drum, that won't take a .325x7 or x8 rim.

This also was the case on the 262xp.

If you can find one, you can find a small spline drum. I just did this so I can use shorter bars from my 55. You may have to also change the worm gear out for the oil pump. Oregon doesn't make them any more but I was able to get old stock a couple weeks ago. If you use the large spline with a 9 pin you will have to add links. I post the oregon number when get home later if that helps.

Jeremy

The small spline Oregon Part #
40071x type p old # 100758 and you can use 7 & 8 pin .325, or a 7 pin 3/8 an not have to add any links to the chain in my experience.

Jeremy

Back