262 xp clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting! I've never split my 262's so I didn't notice this difference. In the 1990, 1991 and 1992 IPL's, Husky lists two parts for the oiler tube - the plastic tube (501 83 93-02) and the metal tube (721 42 32-50). In the 262 1994 and later IPLs and all 261 IPL's, only one number is listed (503 66 84-01) for the oiler tube assembly (plastic tube plus insert) so that must be when the change happened.

The 3 shoe clutch is the way to go on a 262xp. I bought a 262xp that someone had took the the factory 3 shoe clutch off and put a brand new 2 shoe on it like a 254xp has. It slipped and I had to put a 3 shoe on it.

Interesting! I've never split my 262's so I didn't notice this difference. In the 1990, 1991 and 1992 IPL's, Husky lists two parts for the oiler tube - the plastic tube (501 83 93-02) and the metal tube (721 42 32-50). In the 262 1994 and later IPLs and all 261 IPL's, only one number is listed (503 66 84-01) for the oiler tube assembly (plastic tube plus insert) so that must be when the change happened.

There is no serial number plate on the saw, so I can't date it. It's early because it has the "tool box" in the handle. I hope that epoxy will hold the pipe in place.

My big surprise on the split was the weird plastic/metal case seal on the flywheel side. I bought seal kits from Weedeaterman and they had two standard seals, only one was needed for the clutch side. I probably ought to replace the black plastic insert that goes under the plate under the flywheel. God I have to get my camera back from my father.....

I took the 261/262 out into a snowstorm, 20 degrees, and the clutch was freezing- it took three cuts before it would stop turning at idle. I had to cut a Russian Olive before the high tensile fence repair crew comes in next week.

I had a guy with me that had never used a pro saw before, a "wild thing" user and I let him cut the tree. I think my saw scared him, that saw is a badboy. Wait till mastermind finishes his magic on it.

I'm gonna mount the three shoe as soon as I get the 262 engine on my bench done. I have to clean the carbon out of the jug and set squish Sunday, then Monday I'll haul it to my dealer to try to find new av mounts, outside bucking spike. Etc. I tore the carb down, it needs a kit, some of the coating is worn off the metering needle. I'm hoping that's why it was slowly flooding out. The fuel pump looks a little stretched too.

Does anybody know how far the starter side crankshaft bearing should be installed in a 262 xp? I thought it was supposed to stick out of the case about 1/32nd inch, but I have an air-leak around the edge of the seal cover. And did I install the new seal right? It replaced the old plastic POS seal.

262001_zps8ae5f2f7.jpg

262002_zps3af8d888.jpg

Latest posts

Back