262 xp ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfire

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
will a 262xp wear a 272 jug:confused: i just picked up one for real cheap. i would love too make this saw a little bit more powerful. i like the balance of it. if a 272 jug will not fit then i will have to try my hand at a mild port job and top end rebuild. she run ok just cover in layers of saw dust:dizzy: she run better with out the air filter. is there a after market velocity stack available.
thanks fer the help:cheers:
:greenchainsaw:

You should ask spike about the 262xp. He has a lot of knowledge of that model. If memory serves me correctly the 262xp is more powerful than the 365xp and the Stihl 361 and a domed piston and cylinder can be had for it. I would pm spike to get the details but that 262 was a great saw stock.

saw

i am trying to figure out if it is even worth mesin worth. i know it runs but is a saw of this vintage worth putting in $$$. i thought is would be fun to see if she could be hot rod with a bigger jug and piston. also is a 262 xp worth more as parts or az a whole saw:confused:
:cheers:

Short answer it is worth fixing. finding parts another story but I would bet Spike has some good sources as he rebuilt one that Thall saved from a dumpster last year. I don't think it belongs to the 372xp family but don't quote me on that. I do know the other Husky guys will pipe up tomorrow and give you the skinny. You are most likely looking at about $300.00 for new airfilter new fuel filter new seals a good topend and a carb rebuild but a member may have what you need?

thanks dave that makes me feel good about fixin her. normally i steer clear of rebuildin any saw. sounds like it will be a fun project. it will have to sit till i get my jd cs 81 handle bar project wrapped up. on the cs81 i have modified a stihl 46 3/4 wrap to fit sorta:jawdrop: got a couple of things to work out. this damed cad is fun:givebeer:

The 262xp doesn't need a 272xp topend nor will it fit.
in fact stock in good condition a 262xp will cut plenty fast enough, these saws have a LOT of torque for a relatively small displacement.
In fact torque wise the 262xp is almost the same as a 372xp.
I would hesitate to do a port job on one of these as they are pretty highly tuned from the factory, if you just got a new P+C you would be quite surprised.
If you want to get rid of it I am sure that there are a good few on here that would buy it.

if the saw is clapped out ya' prolly just need new rings and maybe a piston, jug should be fine.

yes, its worth keeping, these saws go for stupid money on fleabay. if you dont want it i will send Uncle Ben to your house for the saw.

:clap:

Short answer it is worth fixing. finding parts another story but I would bet Spike has some good sources as he rebuilt one that Thall saved from a dumpster last year. I don't think it belongs to the 372xp family but don't quote me on that. I do know the other Husky guys will pipe up tomorrow and give you the skinny. You are most likely looking at about $300.00 for new airfilter new fuel filter new seals a good topend and a carb rebuild but a member may have what you need?

The 262xp belongs to the lighter and smaller 154-family, and is the most powerfull saw in that family.

A 272 or 372 jug will not fit.

Parts should not be a real problem, as they aren't that old - and still are sold new in parts of the world (slightly detuned version).

I just came across this thread this afternoon and after reading it I remembered seeing a 262XP in the scrap pile at a saw dealer that I will be dropping off a couple of saws that I have repaired for him. I will dig it out and see what it needs as some on here think they are worth fixing ,are they close in size to a 261 as I have one of those and it runs good but not really a powerhouse. Pioneerguy600

I just came across this thread this afternoon and after reading it I remembered seeing a 262XP in the scrap pile at a saw dealer that I will be dropping off a couple of saws that I have repaired for him. I will dig it out and see what it needs as some on here think they are worth fixing ,are they close in size to a 261 as I have one of those and it runs good but not really a powerhouse. Pioneerguy600

The 261 is a seriously detuned 262xp - lots of info in the archive on how to turn ot into a 262xp (Spike60 is the one to listen to in that regard).

154, 254, 257 (the junker of the bunch with open transfers), 261, and 262 are all of the cousins in that family. They are much closer in design to the 272 family. A 262 can be a real runner with very little mods.

And I heard it could cure cancer.

i got a chance yesterday to clean it up for a more formal look see. well on thing is it was not treated very well:dizzy: it had ton of old old grease ans saw dust cake on the poor girl. clean it best i could with greased lighting and the garden hose and a skrench and my toooth brush to get her clean:rock: boy was she dirty it took me two hours to get it cleared enough to check the av system as i figured rubber is rotten. gas tank was repaired from chain hitting it. needs a new bar and chain and i will put it back together and test it. i still would like too put a velocity stack on her. boy this damed cad id bad newz when you get it as bad as i have it. i now need to sell some so i can get more:dizzy: :dizzy: :givebeer: :rock: well for now i am just plannin on runnin her as is:chainsaw: got to love cheap sawz. she only cost me $85.00 saw chips and the dirt waz free.

154, 254, 257 (the junker of the bunch with open transfers), 261, and 262 are all of the cousins in that family. They are much closer in design to the 272 family. A 262 can be a real runner with very little mods.

And I heard it could cure cancer.

Romeo ;I just picked up a 262 XP this afternoon and of course I really don`t need it so I would like to tear it down and rebuild it. What should I do to make it a real runner like you mentioned in your post? I am a fairly accomplished mechanic and machinest so I can handle the tools necessary to perform the work.
Pioneerguy600

Romeo ;I just picked up a 262 XP this afternoon and of course I really don`t need it so I would like to tear it down and rebuild it. What should I do to make it a real runner like you mentioned in your post? I am a fairly accomplished mechanic and machinest so I can handle the tools necessary to perform the work.
Pioneerguy600

Just rebuild it to stock. It is almost 5hp stock and will cut with any 272XP or 372XP in wood up to 18". You could do a very mild port match like Manual did with the 262XP Thall gave him (it was not Spike Huskydave) he made a fantastic thread here
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=45413&highlight=thall+262

Its the ultimate firewood saw for me, I dont get into much wood over 24".

Just rebuild it to stock. It is almost 5hp stock and will cut with any 272XP or 372XP in wood up to 18". You could do a very mild port match like Manual did with the 262XP Thall gave him (it was not Spike Huskydave) he made a fantastic thread here
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=45413&highlight=thall+262

Its the ultimate firewood saw for me, I dont get into much wood over 24".

Thanks for posting the url for that thread, a lot of useful info there. I may only do the port enlargement and mod the muffler for the first time around ,but like the degree wheel and the port timing part ,next winters project.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back