262xpg worth modding...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here´s the plan... (correct me if I´m wrong)

1. Removing the base gasket or replace it with something thinder.

2.Making the wall thinder at the transfer ports
cylinder.jpg

3.Make the exhaust port bigger on the outside
exhaust.jpg

4.make bigger windows in the piston
piston.jpg

5. I cannot see what I could do to the intake side. Not much room before I hit the screws
intake.jpg

6. And then a muffler mod.

Is there anything else I can do...? will this work...?

Thanks for all the replies so far...

Yeppers.....that's the one.

Strato saws take awhile to "break in". It will keep getting stronger for 20 tanks or so......

if that's the one in the vid you just put up it rips I likey :bowdown:

ps was that john on the 441

Last edited:
if that's the one in the vid you just put up it rips I likey :bowdown:

ps was that john on the 441

It was.....and that was.

Or this 262 just lower the intake .020 and widen the bore side of the EX and IN a little watching the ring ends and piston skirts......mod the muffler and cut wood.

No way i would put money or time in those 7 year old saws. Not even worth cleaning em up.Those are some of the worst saws to own. I really feel bad for you, so if you will box em up and mail both of them to me, and i will "properly dispose" of them for you at no charge. Oh yea, if you are interested, i have several acres of land on Mars that i will be putting on the market pretty soon. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

do you have any pictures on your port job...?

Did you take the base gasket away or replaced it with a thinder one... ?

no, I don't have any pics.

Basically you are the right track except for one thing - do not change the bridge dividing the upper and lower transfers. Where you put that red line, do not do anything there. For the lower transfers, work on the bottom lip. Chamfer it and create a slope down to towards the bottom. Upper transfers widen a wee bit towards intake. Exhaust and intake can be widened a bit but I would have to look at everything to see what the limiting factors are on that cylinder and piston as I don't remember off the top of my head

Yes, you can just remove the base gasket or make a thinner base gasket as required to achieve approximately .020" clearance. On most Husqvarnas I have found totally removing the gasket gives a little over .020" but you have to measure each saw to know for sure. Use an appropriate sealer like Permatex Motoseal, Dirko, Hondabond, Yamabond, etc.

I never do anything to the pistons. I personally think its a waste of time, but I also have never tried it. I like my saws to be improved but I don't chase after every little bit of performance.

The 262/261 cylinder is very similar in design to Stihl 044/440 046/460 cylinders. Do a lot of reading and looking at porting pictures before you start grinding. Make sure you understand the limiting factors of widening ports (ie, ring end locations) and make sure you understand how to bevel the port edges, and how much to bevel them as well as understand correct port shapes. Read, read, read some more and look at lots of porting pics before you grind.

Lastly, I would suggest grinding on a cheap aftermarket cylinder first, or on a used jug that might have some damage already like light scoring.

So I tried open up the lower transfer port....

(THIS IS NOT THE FINISH PORT JOB.....!!! Just testing)
ported.jpg

compare to the stock
stock.jpg

I have left a little egde closest to the base, like 1 mm....

would this be good enough or what do you think....?

this is and old cylinder just for testing....

I know I have to make it nice and smooth this is just a test...

I have mixed feelings about doing that on smaller saws. I prefer to just knock the lower lip off these days.......I see no benefit in adding to the case volume......

I have mixed feelings about doing that on smaller saws. I prefer to just knock the lower lip off these days.......I see no benefit in adding to the case volume......

yeah, but it does wonders on a 262 for some reason

nmurph I think found the same thing. They really like it.

So Here´s some pictures of the muffler mod
2013_04_12_20_05_08.jpg

2013_04_12_20_05_38.jpg

2013_04_12_20_32_23.jpg

2013_04_14_17_59_16.jpg

I will post a video of the saw cutting tomorrow....

Latest posts

Back