266XP Stud Bubba

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you explain more as to why these are the only options?
My guess is- over time and misuse the original studs worked loose in their press fit sockets- maybe one broke and fell out, but one was certainly still intact and still in the oil tank.
My guess is previous owners thought (or were told) the only way to fit new studs is to split the cases, fit the studs and rebuild the saw- that was placed in the too hard basket so they tapped the front hole to suit a bolt they had laying about and invented a short stud to stop the bar rotating on the front bolt.
As explained above- the saw does not need torn down for other reasons- so would prefer not to, plus I do not have a good PTO case side for a 61-272 in stock.
Well......I guess those are not the only options......just the ones I consider will the make a dependable repair. In reality I would likely source a good lower end and move all my best stuff to it, rather than splitting thre cases...but thats just me......lots of failed 61-266 cases out there.with good cranks/bearings....or even 625/630/670 cases.

Well......I guess those are not the only options......just the ones I consider will the make a dependable repair. In reality I would likely source a good lower end and move all my best stuff to it, rather than splitting thre cases...but thats just me......lots of failed 61-266 cases out there.with good cranks/bearings....or even 625/630/670 cases.

Remember where I live and how few of these saws are out there where I live! :p

Yep.....desperate tymes call for desperate measures!!! You do what you can with what you have!! Hope your repair holds........seen many bad things fixed on saws with JB Weld !!!

The JB is only added security and leak prevention- the bar studs were altered to better fit the holes left in the case half- JB was added to fill any potential void that would allow oil to escape my out of round alterations.

Back