272 in a box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toad22t

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok so here's the story. I was checking out my local Craigslist adds yesterday and came across a Stihl 038 for sale. I called on it and was talking with the guy and said he hasn't used it much in the last 5 or 6 years due to switching to huskys. So I continued talking with him and he had stated that he had just bout a new husky because his last one had broke down on him ( bro in law straight gased it) and tore it down to fix it but just bout a new one instead. So I asked what it was and he had said a 272. Well I need another 70 cc saw like I need another hole in my head but have always liked the 2 series huskys.

So I guess this is where my question comes in. What is a boxed 272 worth? I haven't seen pics of it and haven't discussed it more with him due to playing phone tag. I'm already figuring that at minimal ill be putting 2 hundy into it with a new p and c. Ty for any help or advice that can be given.

Is the 272 still a virgin? If so, $600-$700 would not be nuts.

I got sucked into one of those deals last year. Bought a NOS Jonsered 670 Champ for $650. Didn't need it, but just couldn't say no. :msp_rolleyes:

ooops, I misread the OP. Figure $200 for a new OEM top end. So a toasted one like that which has been sitting in the box for a bunch of year, $100. It's worth more as parts than a project, but if he has no other saws in this family then the parts are of little value to him.

Last edited:
I just finished the exact same project this spring. It was my first saw in a box purchase. What I didn't consider was how much hardware was missing. That really adds up after you price it all out.
Once I realized I'd have more into the saw than it's worth I decided to go ahead and put more into it. :msp_w00t:
I made a case splitter and put new bearings, seals in too. Got it running but haven't cut with it yet.

Good luck, check parts inventory carefully.

to bad so sad

Well the 272 box saw didn't work out. I finally was able to connect bases with the guy and he said his father in law threw it out along with his own 272 after that blew up. My heart just sank when I heard that lol. But in the up side of it all is in the process of talking with him I was given leads on a old rancher that needs a muffler, a 268 that a cousin was talking bout getting rid of and a 371 that is getting tired that another cousin wants to get rid of. So maybe something will come out of this after all. If not he was a great guy to talk with and maybe keep in touch with for future dealings. Ty all for all responses and opinions on this subject and wish me luck lol.

P.s. hopefully I have put a end in this madness of these guys throwing away these gems like they are nothing. I may even need counseling after this not just because of cad but because of the hauntings and nightmares I'm gonna have from hearing how these saws ended there life lol.

yep it never hurts to keep in contact even if it doesnt pan out. the guy i bought my 075 from, told me to pay him a visit again caus hes got a alaskan saw mill and a 042 sitting, waiting for me to pick them up lol

Back