272 XP question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im not real familiar with Husqvarna saws but could someone tell me if a 272 Xp saw is worth having. Im not trying to start a fight and I know everyone has their own idea of good and bad. I have a chance to acquire a very nice low houred 272 and just curious to jump or not Ive always messed with stihls. The questions I have are, Do these saws run at a lower RPM say 9500 or is this just a wives tale. Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance

short and sweet,,,, yes!!!!! here is my 372xp

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/10aUUxoPl18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh yeah very nice thanks for sharing what is the difference between the 272 and the 372 does the first number mean anything or is that just the difference in an older saw and a newer saw?

I may be wrong but theres not to much difference,, the 272 is an older saw,, maybe one of the experts will chime in

Quite a few differences.

272 outboard 372 inboard
272 polymer intake manifold 372 rubber boot

The jugs are different as well 272 dual port and 372 is quad port. Both run great and are high on my favorite saw list.

272 is a great saw from a great family/series. They run strong stock and take a port job well too. If I was looking for a 70cc saw.....I wouldn't shy away from one. Grab it!

The 9500 rpm measurement is the maximum power speed. Max free rotating is 13,500. The shorter stroke (2mm shorter) and dual transfer port design create slightly less torque output than a 372xp (quad port). The 272 rubber anti vibe gives a little more hand vibration than a spring mounted saw. Overall, a 272xp is a very good saw and worth having for the right price.

+1 ^^

If the OP question is related to using it regularly then depending there may other saws up or down size better suited for the work.

I love mine and the others that I have run. Easy to work on and alot of used factory parts and aftermarket stuff as well for these saws. Remember that parts from 61, 66, 261, 266, 268's mostly interchange with a 272. They have a nice mix of power to weight. Until the 371/372 came out, it was the saw that most people wanted. (at least in the husky flavor).

Thanks to all for the input it is a great help I think I will try to grab it. Sounds like this saw will be a good embassador to the husky brand. I have nothing aginst the huskys but you just don't see many bigger pro series huskys in my area its all stihl. I will try to get this and give it a try. Thanks for all the help.

They are great saws. Even though I sell another brand, I have a deep respect for the 2 series pros saws. I spent a lot of time out in the woods with 254's, 266's and 272's. They were stone cold reliable and made very good power. I have a 266 that I hadn't run in 15 years that we resurrected. A new gasket my son made for between the carb and the manifold and we were off to the races. After running the saw for a bit we pressure checked it to make sure the seals were good and they were fine. In real life, with a tank full of fuel and oil, a 272 weighs a full pound less than a 441.

My MM'd 272 flat out screams . I've seen over 15,000rpm on the tach , and I richened it up , so now it's taching 14,200 . I don't neccessarily buy into that "quad port is better than two ports" belief . This saw easily outrevs my 346 .

In my opinion ..

The Husky 272XP is the best saw ever made, or ever will be made.

All others pale in comparison.

I love my Husky 385XP, and my baby Husky 235, but....

The Husky 272 is about as perfect a saw that is possible.

I ran some Stihls in the log woods.

My MM'd 272 flat out screams . I've seen over 15,000rpm on the tach , and I richened it up , so now it's taching 14,200 . I don't neccessarily buy into that "quad port is better than two ports" belief . This saw easily outrevs my 346 .

Quad ports are superior. They scavenge better which makes more power and satisfied the epa for a few years.

EPA requirements have made some real pain in the butt changes in 2-strokes. However, they also forced things like quad ports on chainsaws, fuel injected snowmobiles and outboards, and overall more efficient and powerful engines in almost every 2-stroke engine. They also made way for high performance 4 strokes to make it to the snowmobile world. It cost all of us money, but it really pushed technology forward.

272xp

The 272 is a great saw, easy to work on, easy to find parts for. Makes 5.2hp in stock form and will pull a 32in bar in soft wood. You wont find a better firewood saw for the money. The 625,630,and 670 jonsered saws share some parts with the husky saws to. Buy it you wont be sorry!!! Rick.

In my opinion ..

The Husky 272XP is the best saw ever made, or ever will be made.

All others pale in comparison.

I love my Husky 385XP, and my baby Husky 235, but....

The Husky 272 is about as perfect a saw that is possible.

I ran some Stihls in the log woods.

Just wait until you get your 288XP up and running my friend. Mine makes me think of my 272XP mixed with a rip snortin' old McCulloch Super 250. I really like my 272XP (and still prefer it to the 372XP's I've ran), but I love my 288XP.:D

[video]http://s171.photobucket.com/user/Eccentric_photo/media/CAM00625_zps6f387ec5.mp4.html[/video]

Last edited:
Back