28 inches .404 square skip on a 288, good idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put a new top on a 288 and was thinking about running 7 pin .404 square ground full skip chain on a 28 inch bar . Hard wood is always there but this saw will be eating mostly poplar. Has anyone had run time on a 288 with .404?

Sounds like it would work nice.
I like to run full skip on long bars.
They don't seem to bog as much.

Let us know if you try it and how it
works out for you.

Just my thoughts Lee

I certainly will. The yarder sale on potts Mt is going to be through next friday,( I hope!) then we are going to Montvale where I am cutting allmost exclusively poplar, biguns too! Thats why i decuded to tru this setup. Cherry, black walnut, and maby the biggest reds and whites will be subject as well, Mabe. I have a 660 too so...
Dang private land owners, always changing there minds.

im not really seeing the point in it. 3/8" is easier to get, more people are apt to have it. and i don' t think .404 is gonna make that much of a difference anyway

im not really seeing the point in it. 3/8" is easier to get, more people are apt to have it. and i don' t think .404 is gonna make that much of a difference anyway

Go 3/8 and run full comp! The 88 will rip it wide open no matter what chain you use! One of the most overlooked saws you'll find.

288’s a nice saw, you’re lucky to have one. Don’t know if it will like 404 the way a 7 cube saw does, skip might work.:givebeer:

Back