288xp cyl question…run it or pitch it…

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother's early 281 had a bit of carbon scuffing on the piston and still blew 180+. And that was after it spent awhile running a 42" bar on a mill. I tore it down, cleaned up the scuffed spots, put a ring in it and it's kept on going. I say run that saw like you stole it, if the jug fails shelve it, sell it, or find a better jug and put that on it.

I like how you think, lol
worst case…it cuts wood until it blows up. Then, it becomes another project saw 🤣
Either way it’s not the end of the world. And the only parts that can be ruined are already questionable. I say bludgeon it to death and see if it will last

My brother's early 281 had a bit of carbon scuffing on the piston and still blew 180+. And that was after it spent awhile running a 42" bar on a mill. I tore it down, cleaned up the scuffed spots, put a ring in it and it's kept on going. I say run that saw like you stole it, if the jug fails shelve it, sell it, or find a better jug and put that on it.
Carbon scuff is in another category. This “scratch” is through the plating enough for a fingertip to feel. So, unless the plating is .020 thick…:p

Back