2nd attempt at square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Maas said:
Right exactly at the point.

I agree that that is the proper target for a work chain. Corner of the file in the corner of the tooth. I think though, that if you are going to be off any (and that sure is easy to do) you will find that a top beak is a fair bit slower cutting than a side beak. Here is an exaggerated side beak with the file corner a fair bit low just to show the term. Notice the slight radius on the tooth corner. This is more noticeable on Carlton chain and least on Stihl. If you are playing around for speed you would not want that radius to be left on the side cutter, thus if you are going to err, better low than high.

Mike and Crofter are right, concentrate on the corner. Try to get the angles as close as you can, but make sure the corner of the file is in the corner or point of the tooth, or with just a hair of side beak. It seems like to get at least a good cutting chain that the corner is more important than the angles.

15 to 30 % reduction in cut time. Much more difficult to do and files are five times the price of round. Unless you are working piece work or racing it aint worth the hassle.

I admire the time and energy spent on learning to handfile square ground, seriously I do. But it sure makes me appreciate my Pro Sharp.

That last effort looked pretty great, btw.

not possible to dress a wheel for a square grind?

would it be possible? to dress a grinding wheel for this type of cut?
BTW I do not have my grinder yet. it will be here next week.Then I can study this a little bit more.
That last rendition looks excellent.

Mike Maas said:
THe pro sharp only grinds round, right?
The Silvey is a grinder that does a good job with square. I'd like to get a good deal on one someday.

I was referring to my Silvey Pro Sharp. Not sure why they need to be so expensive, but they work really well.

I was just looking out the back window onto the garden and what is left of the pumkin patch.

Suddenly it seems like a good test for how sharp a chain is would be slicing up pumkins. Told my wife I was going to sacrifice some pumkins to see her reaction and she says well I wouldn't use your newest saw first until you see how much a mess it makes.

I choose to interpret that as an official release on the pumkins. I think I'll try it this morning and if interesting pics may follow.

Files?

so, you have to use a 6-sided file for square? Why not just a standard 4-sided file?

Gona give this a try but can find a 6-sided file like the one shown in post #12.

Do you a cross cut file or a single cut file?

ericjeeper said:
would it be possible? to dress a grinding wheel for this type of cut?
BTW I do not have my grinder yet. it will be here next week.Then I can study this a little bit more.
That last rendition looks excellent.

From a Tool and Die makers stand point, Yes. But it would be a complete pain compared to the Silvey grinders.

Mike Maas said:
They're not your standard hardware store file. You can order them from Bailiey's or Madsens, and I think stihl dealers should be able to get them.
Square files don't work because the angle you need is wider than 45*.

yup on the first part...but Stihl no longer sells the stihl chisel bit files....They don't have any square files to sell until they find another manufacturer. It's a shame, they were good files.

Latest posts

Back