3/8 low-pro chain with chisel tooth cutters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen a true chisel in the picco or low pro chain, but non safety is readily available from any good dealer.

Mark

Does ANYONE make a 3/8th low profile chain with chisel-tooth cutters?

No anti-kickback features will be an important consideration, too.

It depends how small of a 3/8 low profile you want .In the extended 3/8 pitch mini chains- no full chisel available. Oregon and Stihl made a 3/8 full chisel low profile chain which was poplar in the pulpcutting industry 20 plus years ago-Stihl 33 TS [Topic super] and Oregon's 76 and 77 LG. These 3/8 chains were equivalent in size between a .325 and full blown 3/8. Good smooth cutting chains and the beauty about them was you could put a full size 33RS or 72LP cutter on their smaller chassis. One of the modding tricks done in timbersports.

Does ANYONE make a 3/8th low profile chain with chisel-tooth cutters?

No anti-kickback features will be an important consideration, too.

Carlton makes what they call a "semi-chisel" in 3/8" lo-pro. No anti kick-back features. I have some of these on some smaller saws. Pretty good chain, IMO.

http://www.sawchain.com/products/productdescChain.asp?SeriesID=4

You could also try WoodsmanPRO (marketed throgh Woodland International)

http://www.woodlandint.com/products/chainsaw_accessories___tools/chain_saw_chain/

JQ

Last edited:
Carlton makes what they call a "semi-chisel" in 3/8" lo-pro. No anti kick-back features. I have some of these on some smaller saws. Pretty good chain, IMO.

http://www.sawchain.com/products/productdescChain.asp?SeriesID=4

You could also try WoodsmanPRO (marketed throgh Woodland International)

http://www.woodlandint.com/products/chainsaw_accessories___tools/chain_saw_chain/

JQ

I think that would be equivalent to stihl 3/8 PM chain, in europe they sell a PMX version for milling (5o cutter angle), logosol imports PMX it for use here.

the faster cutting chisel chain would seem to be an advantage in a climbing saw, where the wood will definitely be clean ;) Interesting possibility.

... Oregon and Stihl made a 3/8 full chisel low profile chain which was poplar in the pulpcutting industry 20 plus years ago-Stihl 33 TS [Topic super] and Oregon's 76 and 77 LG. ...

Yeah, but can you still get them?

I suppose it's a simple matter of economics: There are so many zillions of feet of semi-chisel sold, (especially on all those homeowner saws!), the manufacturers don't want to inventory two different cutters for one chain pitch/style.

It depends how small of a 3/8 low profile you want .In the extended 3/8 pitch mini chains- no full chisel available. Oregon and Stihl made a 3/8 full chisel low profile chain which was poplar in the pulpcutting industry 20 plus years ago-Stihl 33 TS [Topic super] and Oregon's 76 and 77 LG. These 3/8 chains were equivalent in size between a .325 and full blown 3/8. Good smooth cutting chains and the beauty about them was you could put a full size 33RS or 72LP cutter on their smaller chassis. One of the modding tricks done in timbersports.

Don't know off hand about the 77, but the Oregon 76 was a full sized 3/8's chassis with a low profile cutter that used a 3/16's file instead of the normal 7/32's file. It is not what you would call a low profile 3/8's chain, as the drive links are too big for the little saw's using low pro chain.

Clear as mudd sometimes.

Have you ever tried Woodland Pro 30LP that Bailey's sells? I really like it on my little saw

Don't know off hand about the 77, but the Oregon 76 was a full sized 3/8's chassis with a low profile cutter that used a 3/16's file instead of the normal 7/32's file. It is not what you would call a low profile 3/8's chain, as the drive links are too big for the little saw's using low pro chain.

Clear as mudd sometimes.

Yea, I know what ya mean about the 3/16 file on the oregon 76 LP.

I like the oregon 91VX on my climbing saws.

Clear as mudd sometimes.

The 77 76LG [.058,.050] chains almost look like a .325 The chassis is alot lighter and smaller in size then the fullsize 72 or 73 LG. But you could still interchange cutters, in a competition chain it would allow alot more chip clearance and flow. All us fallers called it a low profile ,maybe not the proper title for it. This chain in Stihl and Oregon hasn't been made for years, I'm sure there is alot of old stock out there though.

The 77 76LG [.058,.050] chains almost look like a .325 The chassis is alot lighter and smaller in size then the fullsize 72 or 73 LG. But you could still interchange cutters, in a competition chain it would allow alot more chip clearance and flow. All us fallers called it a low profile ,maybe not the proper title for it. This chain in Stihl and Oregon hasn't been made for years, I'm sure there is alot of old stock out there though.

I know exactly what your trying to say, I just didn't want anyone to think that they could throw it on there Wildthing and be good to go.

Bottom line is, 76 chain is full size .375 chain that runs on a regular 3/8's pitch sprocket.

As I posted a while back, when I was tech services manager for Stihl in 1989 the Stihl Swiss chain factory sent me a roll of test chain to test in northern Alberta. It was the 33 Topic Super with 33RS cutters on it, I quit working for Stihl shortly after so I never had the opportunity to see how the test panned out. I just know that chain cut like crazy.At the time all the serious timbersport saw competitors were building their chain like this so it was nothing new, Stihl just wanted to test it out in all day conditions. As a matter of fact those 33RS cutters in 1989 were the prototype of the sloped depth gauge cutters that we know today.[Oregon introduced that design originally as the LG in 1982] 33RS at the time had the straight up/down depth gauge like the Oregon 72LP,Oregon LP had the anti kickback humped drivelink and the older Stihl 33RS had theirs on top of the tie-strap directly in front of the cutters depth gauge. Now the new 33RSC3 has both of both worlds, drive link and sloped depth gauge anti kickback ramps.

Last edited:
Back