Stihl Yellow Chain cutter angles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. I am trying to find out if there is a difference in any cutter angles from a green to yellow Stihl chain. For Reference I am specifically dealing with
33RS3 (Green) and 33RS (Yellow). Took some chains to the shop for sharpening and they came back different between the yellow and green.
green is 60/30/0. Yellow is more like somewhere between 55-50/30/0.
So a couple questions.
1. I have heard, but not seen officially, Stihl green chains are semi chisel and yellow are full chisel. Is this correct?
2. If question 1 is true, would that mean full vs semi chisel is what actually makes the yellow chain more aggressive? because all the info i can find points to the cutter angles being the same. Or is there a difference in angles between the 2 types and thats what makes one more aggressive than the other.
3. I have heard guys say they sharpen full chisel chains with a 10 down angel and semi chisel at 0. Any thoughts on this?

thanks for any info you can provide.

1. Yes. There is a Stihl official chain chart that will help you with the details.
2. Full chisel is more aggressive due to the profile but the green chains have an extra raker in the mix that also affect the cutting. Download the Stihl official chain chart and all your questions will be answered with technical specs i.e. angles, profiles, and other useful info as well. Good cutting and wear your PPE.

‘Green’ is low/reduced kickback.

‘Yellow’ is not.

This designation is based on an ANSI performance test.

In theory, either one could be full chisel (STIHL ‘RS’) or semi chisel (STIHL ‘RM’) cutters.In practice, more low/reduced kickback chains are semi chisel, but not all semi chisel chains are low/reduced kickback.

You can sharpen chains (any type) based on the wood you cut, using the manufacturer’s recommendations as ‘starting points.

Philbert

Hi all. I am trying to find out if there is a difference in any cutter angles from a green to yellow Stihl chain. For Reference I am specifically dealing with
33RS3 (Green) and 33RS (Yellow). Took some chains to the shop for sharpening and they came back different between the yellow and green.
green is 60/30/0. Yellow is more like somewhere between 55-50/30/0.
So a couple questions.
1. I have heard, but not seen officially, Stihl green chains are semi chisel and yellow are full chisel. Is this correct?
2. If question 1 is true, would that mean full vs semi chisel is what actually makes the yellow chain more aggressive? because all the info i can find points to the cutter angles being the same. Or is there a difference in angles between the 2 types and thats what makes one more aggressive than the other.
3. I have heard guys say they sharpen full chisel chains with a 10 down angel and semi chisel at 0. Any thoughts on this?

thanks for any info you can provide.
10-degree sharpening is only optimal for ripping chains only. 30 degrees is the way to go.

10-degree sharpening is only optimal for ripping chains only. 30 degrees is the way to go.
OP is talking about ‘down angle’.
IMG_5930.jpeg

Usually only recommended for full chisel files (Oregon). STIHL recommends only filing level (0°).

Note that many file guides are also supposed to be used only at 0° ‘down angle’.

Philbert

OP is talking about ‘down angle’.
View attachment 1135012

Usually only recommended for full chisel files (Oregon). STIHL recommends only filing level (0°).

Note that many file guides are also supposed to be used only at 0° ‘down angle’.

Philbert
Oh... Please educate me about down angle. My fg2 goes to 10° max.

Oregon Filing Specs
View attachment 1135028
‘B’ shows the ‘down’ angle. Usually 0° or 10°.

STIHL only recommends 0°.

Philbert
If one uses the type of file guide pictured then zero is the number. That is kind of what impression I have. There are likely instructions that come with FG2 and similar devices. On the fold out sheet in retail Stihl packages as well. I am looking at an Oregon box Chamfer chisel(90px, 91p, 91px,91pxl) is 0 Round ground chisel (72,73,75V) and micro chisel (95vpx, 20,21,22 bpx) is 10 degrees. It is a box for 91px. There is no file guide shown in the diagrams on the box. I suppose once you deviate from zero the 20% of file diameter above the top plate gets more complicated.

If one uses the type of file guide pictured then zero is the number.
Yeah, if you tilt that guide, the file does not hit the tooth right.

My STIHL FG2 has ‘0’ and ‘10’ settings. My FG1, and most other Granberg type filing jigs, have a wider range of file tilt / ‘down angle’ settings.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back