3/8 lp comparison .043 vs .050

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was talked into getting a 3/8lp .050 over the .043 picco because I would get more chain life.
I know out of the box the .050 did not impress me. Hopefully a sharpening will smooth this out. I fear my 192 just doesn't have the power to pull it we shall see. What do you think?

VXL is known to not be silky smooth out of the box. The lighter the saw+bar combo, the more pronounced the chatter seems to be.
Benefits plenty from some chain work; sharpening and possibly tweaking the back of the cutters if sharpening (thus reducing the cutter length) doesn't suffice.
Personally, I like it.

If you can buy for a comparable price, give the Stihl 3/8 x 1.3 PS a whirl. I find it a much smoother cut out of the box & it cuts well without having to "tune it" with a file, just my 2 penny's worth other may have different views/findings

Put a loop of 63PS or 63PS3 on it corey and dont look back.
That is the plan. I just started with the bar chain combo since it was cheaper from left Coast the just a bar alone locally. In fact I was able to get two bars h chain combo with shipping for one bar and chain local.

That ps chain sure is faster. Lol. I have to order some off ebay when I can afford it because no one local carries it.

Well I took some time with the vxl chain today. One side was longer than the other. So I just sharpened the one side to equal it out. It helped a bit on the chatter and grabbing. I am sure after the next sharpening it will smooth out alot.
I am also considering running .020 depth gauge, any thoughts on that?

Not too much hook and less aggressive inner top plate angle will help with chatter. Especially in dry wood. I love PS, but run N1 Carlton as I bought 20x55dl loops used once for $110 to my door. I don't reckon I'd get 3 loops of PS for that price.

Not too much hook and less aggressive inner top plate angle will help with chatter. Especially in dry wood. I love PS, but run N1 Carlton as I bought 20x55dl loops used once for $110 to my door. I don't reckon I'd get 3 loops of PS for that price.
I have been taking a couple of my chainsaw to 20 deg top angle for some shagbark hickory that is just off a gravel road. The stuff as been tearing through some chain lol guessing over the past 50 years or so a lot of gravel dust has been inbeded in them. Almost like hitting the ground every cut.

I have been taking a couple of my chainsaw to 20 deg top angle for some shagbark hickory that is just off a gravel road. The stuff as been tearing through some chain lol guessing over the past 50 years or so a lot of gravel dust has been inbeded in them. Almost like hitting the ground every cut.
Going to 20° won't do much. If you're file is too low you'll get too much hook, which can make the chain grab too much and dull fast. NK .325 may smooth things out, but it may be too much for the saw, and you'll definitely be cutting slower.

Latest posts

Back