3/8 semi-chisel skip....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
is painfully slow, even on my 372 with an 8 pin rim. I dropped a 30ish inch oak today. I used the 076 w/ a 36" bar and full comp 3/8 RC to drop it and buck the first 25 feet or so of the trunk. Got it pinched, so I broke out the 372 with the 28" bar and SC skip to cut it out. SLOW... even compared to the 076 running a 7 pin rim and almost 4k fewer RPMs. That thing just melts through.. doesn't seem to be in any hurry but it doesn't seem to be working very hard either...

Good thing I only have one loop of that tortoise chain... it's going on the nail... never to see a bar again hopefully.

Ian

PS... ended up pinching the 372 also, wedges and axe came to the rescue of them both. :dizzy:

heres an idear clown

drop the riders a few thou. i sharpen all semi chisel 375 with a 1/4" file it leaves a flatter face.
hope this helps:chainsaw:

:cheers:

is painfully slow, even on my 372 with an 8 pin rim. I dropped a 30ish inch oak today. I used the 076 w/ a 36" bar and full comp 3/8 RC to drop it and buck the first 25 feet or so of the trunk. Got it pinched, so I broke out the 372 with the 28" bar and SC skip to cut it out. SLOW... even compared to the 076 running a 7 pin rim and almost 4k fewer RPMs. That thing just melts through.. doesn't seem to be in any hurry but it doesn't seem to be working very hard either...

Good thing I only have one loop of that tortoise chain... it's going on the nail... never to see a bar again hopefully.

Ian

PS... ended up pinching the 372 also, wedges and axe came to the rescue of them both. :dizzy:

Hi,

I have used a lot of the chain here in west Texas. I buy it by the roll and use it on echo 8000 and 044 stihl (36" and 30" ). Surprisingly, there are some fairly large Cottonwood and Siberian elm trees here in the mountains (old old ranch headquarters).

The semichisel skip works good on the softer woods, but it is slow on the oaks and old ash. I have looked for chipper skip, but have not found it. I believe that a chain of that design would work well on hard wood and would be easier to sharpen in the field.

echoman

Where do you get 3/8 semi-chisel skip?

I looked all over for it and even had a hard time getting regular .063 semi-chisel.

I ended up getting some regular semi-chisel for my 32" and it did pretty good I thought, but hard to tell in the dirty ole stump I was cutting.

Hi,

I have used a lot of the chain here in west Texas. I buy it by the roll and use it on echo 8000 and 044 stihl (36" and 30" ). Surprisingly, there are some fairly large Cottonwood and Siberian elm trees here in the mountains (old old ranch headquarters).

The semichisel skip works good on the softer woods, but it is slow on the oaks and old ash. I have looked for chipper skip, but have not found it. I believe that a chain of that design would work well on hard wood and would be easier to sharpen in the field.

echoman
Any chain is slower when you switch from softwood to hardwood. I feel a big difference going from black oak to white oak even.

Stick it in some west coast pine, watch the chips rain down! Real purdy with the sun setting in the background, or the sun rising in the foredround? Did I say that? Where did I leave my beer?

Where do you get 3/8 semi-chisel skip?

30SCS at Bailey's is 50ga semi-chisel skip, they don't offer it in 063 though.

Maybe I'll put it on the grinder again, it looked sharp but I can't remember if I sharpened it on the NT grinder or the old Harbor Freight piece of junk before I gave it away.

Ian

Last edited:
At the GTG this year I ran a 75cc saw with an 8 pin full skip chisel chain. I wasn't sure how it would do on the times, I just wanted to give it try. Turns out it was slow.

Nice Evening

Stick it in some west coast pine, watch the chips rain down! Real purdy with the sun setting in the background, or the sun rising in the foredround? Did I say that? Where did I leave my beer?

LIKE YOUR ATTITUDE,

Wish I was there.

Wish I had something that grew tall and straight like Doug Fir, cut like Doug Fir, but burned like Hickory and Oak. :clap:

Ian

Back