3/8 sprocket on 088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushrats

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has swapped a 404 chain to a 3/8 sprocket on an 088/ 880?
It is as simple as just changing the sprocket? Cheers

Yeah I have plenty of 3/8 chains and bars for my 038mag and 500i, but i recently picked up an 088 with no bar or chain so trying to decide wether to lash out on a 404 bar and chain or just swap it to 3/8 🤔

Interesting. Just today my neighbor, said can you fix my saw (full disclosure I am NOT a mechanic). If he tightens the chain it won't turn if he loosens the chain so it turns, it throws the chain. After filing the burrs off the drive links, the chain fit back into the rail.
That didn't solve the problem.
Looking at the bar specs it is a .325, .063, but the sprocket is 3/8 7. So my guess is he needs a .325 sprocket?

Thanks. Some more information. The saw is a Stihl MS 362 C and specs from Stihl site states it is 3/8 pitch and .050" bar groove. Unfortunately the owner can not find his owner's manual. It's his first saw and making many rookie mistakes that we have all made.
I’d tell him to get a 3/8 bar and chain and probably sprocket at this point.

Found out he just replaced the bar and chain and was given the wrong bar and chain. Did not buy from a saw shop, but a place that sells pool supplies, wood stoves and Stihl chainsaws. I found them to be somewhat clueless, if the info is not in the promo stuff, they don't know.
Can he put a on .325 sprocket to match the new .325 bar and chain?
Our local Stihl repair shop retired, he is in his mid 80s and the Jonsered/ Husky shop owner died, also on his 80s. Hard to replace a century or more of knowledge.

Found out he just replaced the bar and chain and was given the wrong bar and chain. Did not buy from a saw shop, but a place that sells pool supplies, wood stoves and Stihl chainsaws. I found them to be somewhat clueless, if the info is not in the promo stuff, they don't know.
Can he put a on .325 sprocket to match the new .325 bar and chain?
Our local Stihl repair shop retired, he is in his mid 80s and the Jonsered/ Husky shop owner died, also on his 80s. Hard to replace a century or more of knowledge.
Sounds like an opportunity to learn some shop owners and yes he could just change the sprocket.

I have a 362 that runs a 3/8 chain from stock. Same size as a 038, 500i etc medium mount bar. I had a similar issue when I grabbed the wrong chain by accident that was 325.

Yeah I have plenty of 3/8 chains and bars for my 038mag and 500i, but i recently picked up an 088 with no bar or chain so trying to decide wether to lash out on a 404 bar and chain or just swap it to 3/8 🤔
The bars for your 038 and 500 will not fit without a fair bit of grinding and filing and drilling out adjuster holes and gringing grooves to get oil into the oil hole. It is not worth the effort. Just buy a 3002 mount bar in 3/8 if you must use 3/8 chain but really, a 088 is not being fully utilised unless it is pulling 404

Latest posts

Back