Is a sprocket upgrade needed to upgrade Stihl MS260 chainsaw from 0.325 to a 3/8 bar and chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixmanz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all!

I got a Stihl MS260 as a present that came with a 12"(0.325) bar guide and chain setup. I would like to upgrade it to 18"(3/8). Will this upgrade require a sprocket change?

Chainsaw noob here, please educate me! I'm a little confused with the information available in the interwebs. Thank you!

And to confuse you even more, you can set it up for either low profile or standard 3/8 chain, which require different drive sprockets and bars.
Gee thanks 😅

I just want to make fast(er) cuts in some thick trunks (mostly softwood) meant for firewood. With the 12" I have to roll and cut the other side.
So my question would be: Which combination of bar, chain and sprocket would you recommend for the fastest cuts?☺️

I have a 260 pro and a 261, I run 16" and 20 " B&C. I like the 20 " because of reach without bending.
They cut fast enough as is with semi or full chisel .325 chain.

And to confuse you even more, you can set it up for either low profile or standard 3/8 chain, which require different drive sprockets and bars.
I think you might have that wrong. 3/8 pitch is 3/8 pitch , LP or standard. Sprocket is the same for both. And as long as you stick to the same gauge, say 050, any 050 bar with a 3/8 nose will work with either LP or standard.

I think you might have that wrong. 3/8 pitch is 3/8 pitch , LP or standard. Sprocket is the same for both. And as long as you stick to the same gauge, say 050, any 050 bar with a 3/8 nose will work with either LP or standard.
No he is right they are not the same pitch even tho the name makes it seem that way and the sprockets and nose bars are different. Not saying you can't run a 3/8lp on a used 3/8 sprocket (you shouldn't tho) but if you roll a new sprocket in the chain you'll see it bind.

Also 3/8lp is faster than .325 for the 260 but it also dulls faster.

The name is misleading. They are not interchangeable. There are low-kick versions of true 3/8" but 3/8LP is a different animal, meant for small saws.

Back