$30 Stihl 029, update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackD_ME

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a new tank for it, slapped a 3/8 x 18" bar on it and HANG ON!!! This saw slices through anything (so far) and quick!
Thanks to a few on this site who helped with muffler mods and retuning.
After all the work/parts to make it a whole saw I believe I have about $100 in it.

Now my nearly new MS 310 sits in the truck as a back up saw!

Thanks AS!

I can never seem to find these $30 Husky, Dolmar, Echo, JRed, Stihl:( . Guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled!

I can never seem to find these $30 Husky, Dolmar, Echo, JRed, Stihl:( . Guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled!

I got a $30 Stihl on Ebay once. Had about $100 in parts on it that I stripped and resold on Ebay. Guy did not know what it was. Just listed the part number off the bar code sticker. It was an MS 250.

They are out there, but they are few and far between. Your time will come, if you know what you are looking for and have the cash on hand.

My friend is doing a house clean out, and might have an old saw or two buried in the garage....already got a like new Werner ladder out of it.

Here is the repatch of the original tank. Thought we had it fixed but it still weeped gas.
P1010248.jpg

Here is the saw with new (used) tank installed.
P1010249.jpg

Other side.
P1010250.jpg

Notice the new style [MS290] caps. Cut a load of firewood with it yesterday & today.
P1010246.jpg

JackD_ME i just picked up a 290. just wondering what your muffler looks like. was thinking of modding as wwell. also did you just open the high screw 1/4 of a turn or did you need to tune with a tach?

Case

Is the case on that saw aluminum or plastic??? I'm just wondering, nothing hidden in that question... It's a nice lookin' saw bro. Congrats on the great find man.

:cheers: eh?

Crepitis, do a search on this site (chainsaws) for 029/290 muffler mod. After I printed the instructions I lost the digital info! It's pretty basic, two 1/4" holes in the front above the original exit, open the port in the exit plate and re-tune carb.
Instead of buying the special tool to remove the carb 'stops' I used a 'crafters' hand drill to remove the little piton on the red stop, then tuned by ear - in wood and out of wood. Don't want it reving like a husky!!!

Ciscoguy01, plastic. Apparently, the previous owner ignored the slack chain and it came off and blew a hole in the side. Lucky he didn't catch it in the leg or arm!

Back