3120 runs without spark!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUSSIE1

Al.
Reaction score
Ned and Wild’s fight site Vic. Australia.
A mate has rebuilt a 3120 with an aftermaket cyl kit, nil base gasket @ .025 squish.
Can't get idle down, so tries to kill it by the switch and yep, she keeps running!
I'm calling crank seals/air leak.
He bought this saw with crook P&C.

It has spark. Even when you don't want it. You have a busted on/off switch or you have a continuity problem between the switch and the case.

Yep, either a bad switch or possibly a bad coil.

I've got a 372 unlimited coil from Bailey's on my bench that did what you described.

Last edited:
Nope, he reckons he pulls the plug lead and it still runs! :jawdrop:
I think he should do a pressure test.

With just plane gas and 2 stroke oil that's not possible.
A little too much Nitro Methane perhaps?

Dieseling two stroke

I had an old Arctic Cat Pantera 500 snowmobile that I was riding wide open down the middle of a gravel road after an ice storm put about an inch of ice down. I made it a little over a mile when the belt exploded, and the motor kept running at about 5000 rpm with the kill switch off. I got it to stop on the ice and pulled the spark plug leads off and it kept on running. I had to put my hand over the carb to kill it. In this case I think the whole piston was the hot spot because both pistons were melted when I took it apart. I've sure never had this happen on a saw though.

Randy

I had an old Arctic Cat Pantera 500 snowmobile that I was riding wide open down the middle of a gravel road after an ice storm put about an inch of ice down. I made it a little over a mile when the belt exploded, and the motor kept running at about 5000 rpm with the kill switch off. I got it to stop on the ice and pulled the spark plug leads off and it kept on running. I had to put my hand over the carb to kill it. In this case I think the whole piston was the hot spot because both pistons were melted when I took it apart. I've sure never had this happen on a saw though.

Randy

Dang--and I was happy just to get those Panteras started..........

Casey

Back