3120XP runs lean after 272XP coil swap (problem resolved with a 1.18mm drill bit)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Stryker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This saws carb has a fixed high jet, and after the coil swap, wide open throttle rpms reach over 13,000. Even with the low backed out to 3 1/4 turns, the rpms are scaring me at 13,100. Does the high jet need to be drilled out to a larger size? Or is there another solution to getting more fuel? Thanks.

Put the limited coil back in untill you can tune carb.

This saws carb has a fixed high jet, and after the coil swap, wide open throttle rpms reach over 13,000. Even with the low backed out to 3 1/4 turns, the rpms are scaring me at 13,100. Does the high jet need to be drilled out to a larger size? Or is there another solution to getting more fuel? Thanks.
You can drill the H jet though so that it’s plenty rich in the summer and that should get you still pretty close in the winter. Or you can have someone add an adjustable H jet

You can drill the H jet though so that it’s plenty rich in the summer and that should get you still pretty close in the winter. Or you can have someone add an adjustable H jet
If I drilled it the next size up, do you think I would be able to use the Low screw to fine tune it? I imagine a H screw installed would make it a lot more tuneable.

There is an overlap in what each screw does, which is why you can make a slight difference with the L speed screw on higher RPMs. Because of the way the circuitry is inside the carburetor, adding the H jet the way I do it only adds fuel to your existing jet. Meaning the new H screw turned all the way in will be exactly like you have now. It won’t turn off all the high speed fuel

There is an overlap in what each crew does, which is why you can make a slight difference with the L speed screw on higher RPMs. Because of the way the circuitry is inside the carburetor, adding the H jet the way I do it only adds fuel to your existing jet. Meaning the new H screw turned all the way in will be exactly like you have now. It won’t turn off all the high speed fuel
Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I may try to drill the H jet a wee tiny bit and see, and hope I don't wreck it.

Hi everyone. An update that seems to have solved the lean running H fixed jet. I figured out that the H jet has a nozzle that is around 1.12mm inside diameter at the tightest part. I tried drilling a 1.14mm hole, which made no real difference. So my final drill size that I used was 1.18mm, and that seems to be just about right. WOT is around 12,500 rpm. That is with the L jet turned out about 1 1/2 turns. Problem solved!

Latest posts

Back