3120xp vs 880 Magnum???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what you're missing, the data you're quoting is not objective. It skewed in the favor of the respective manufacturers. You're trying to give the impression that you've done some sort of empirical testing when what you've done is looked on the manufacturer's sites and put that info into a spreadsheet.

Why put a caveat at the end when you told him to go look at your compiled "data"? You've got all the numbers, how could anyone come to a different conclusion?

That would be fine if that was how the manufacturers arrived at their published weights. As we've seen though, the published weights and the weights in the condition you describe often are different, sometimes significantly so.

I have just as much credible evidence as you, which is zero. What you should say is "Go look at my chart, it will give you a rough idea of the specs for the saws, " rather than quoting "facts".

I am a fan of reality, which your "facts" seem to avoid.

What ever gave you that impression. Not anything I have written, surely!

This is leading nowhere :taped:

I think I'll leave it at that, and let people decide for themselves whether to believe Stihl's and Husqvarna's published performance figures, or believe they are pure fiction. As well as whether or not to believe it when said manufacturers claim that the weight is measured without cutting equipment and fluids.

Last edited:
Will a stock 395 or 660 run with a ported 80cc saw?? Like the 681 Solo
or the 181 Husky ??

It would depend on what size sprocket and also what bar and chain combos that you are talking about. I have 2 ported Solo 681's that I think would smoke either saw with the same 24" B&C full-comp and 8pins for all but put a 9pin on the 681's and they are going to start or will lose their advantage witch is at what rpm does your saw have the most torque and that is your sweet spot and you would adjust your sprocket size and or bar lenth acordingly to what you are trying to accomplish speed though a small diameter piece or enough torque to pull a long bar through a large diameter piece . Your ? would have to be much more detailed to be answered any better if I don't say so my self LOL because nobody else is going to HAHA

What is worth mentioning is 120cc pigs ability to utilize the .404 chain and pull it through stump after stump.

In a skip configuraton 41" and over. And they melt up the handle without some muffler love. Heated handles for the hardcore, I guess. Full comp .404 chain 41" on up is too busy in Oak. Everyone needs a 120 class pig though that can lift it.

It would depend on what size sprocket and also what bar and chain combos that you are talking about. I have 2 ported Solo 681's that I think would smoke either saw with the same 24" B&C full-comp and 8pins for all but put a 9pin on the 681's and they are going to start or will lose their advantage witch is at what rpm does your saw have the most torque and that is your sweet spot and you would adjust your sprocket size and or bar lenth acordingly to what you are trying to accomplish speed though a small diameter piece or enough torque to pull a long bar through a large diameter piece . Your ? would have to be much more detailed to be answered any better if I don't say so my self LOL because nobody else is going to HAHA

Ok i understand. No different than the 395 ported
against a woods ported 3120 running a 10 tooth.

What ever gave you that impression. Not anything I have written, surely!

This is leading nowhere :taped:

I think I'll leave it at that, and let people decide for themselves whether to believe Stihl's and Husqvarna's published performance figures, or believe they are pure fiction. As well as whether or not to believe it when said manufacturers claim that the weight is measured without cutting equipment and fluids.

I thought you had written this?

Facts backed up by this chainsaw power/weight survey I just put together: Chainsaw power/weight data

I must have missed it in your first post where you said that all of your facts were based on numbers that are largely inaccurate and you have no idea to what extent?

both great saws right at home in Big wood & Milling, great work saws ..worth every penny, both moddable ....I got the aussie model 3120, 12K coil ....Its a blast to run, like a sleeping giant once wakened its an unstoppable beast.

I've ran both the MS880 side by side with my 3120. Both were stock Australian models (higher rpm limit etc). There was nothing in it although in our country I've probably heard of a few more problems with the 880's than the 3120's - I've even heard a very large and well known Stihl dealer call the MS880 a "piece of sh*t" to my face and would never sell them again. I've also heard of 3120's lighting up the clutch when bogged down after the operator keeps the throttle pinned. Both are big old tough saws but when you really need these big saws no other saw will do. The main bonus I've seen with the 880's is the new HD2 filter setup (awesome setup and Husky needs to catch up quick) whereas the 3120's "oil boost" lever will have oil absolutely spewing off the end of a 60" bar. I've also owned a ported and pop upped MS660 which I sold but it was a quick saw. No way in hell it would keep up with my 3120 though. If you let these saws just sit there and "self feed" then maybe, just maybe the 660 would have had an edge but put some weight on it and it's all over. I know that the US 3120's have a lower rev limit (9,800 from memory?) whereas the Australian versions have a 12,000rpm limit so we are not talking apples for apples. The fixed H jet on the 3120 isn't as big of a deal as people make out although it would be nice to have an adjustment option - however the last thing Husqvarna wants to see is those amongst us who think we know how to tune a saw better than they do from the factory :) I did end up putting an extra muffler port in my 3120 and that made a noticable difference. In the video below it is stock and I quite often laugh when people think that wood's ported smaller saws have any chance of keeping up with most of the bigger saws. The ported 390XPG in this video is a strong saw in it's own right and either of the ported 7900's would lay a serious slap down on a stock MS660 - both 7900's were tuned too rich in this video.
Not trying to start any arguments as there would be faster ported 90cc saws out there than I've owned and slower 120cc saws than my stock 3120 but this just goes to show that you can not blanket all saws with a general comment. Also by the time my 3120 got to wear the new RSC chain in this video it was pretty beaten up - it was also only a 24" bar. The 3120 gets even further ahead with longer bars. This is hard wood in the video with a density close to actually sinking in water...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1GbZ0AXVctY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My 3120 was milling Redgum on the weekend with a 60" bar in 35°C heat and didn't miss a beat. One tank of fuel per slab though :(

Never ran an 880 or 3210.
The local lucas mill guy up the road has a 3210 that after it is hot wont start again with 4 ft bar. ??
I would have thought the husky would be on top of the 880, but perhaps not the 084 / 088 models
Big saws for a bigger job / service, thats all

The local lucas mill guy up the road has a 3210 that after it is hot wont start again with 4 ft bar. ??

Never had a problem with mine but a few of the Australian ex hardwood fallers have said that when hot you stop the 3120's with the choke to fix the vapourisation issues.

Never ran an 880 or 3210.
I would have thought the husky would be on top of the 880, but perhaps not the 084 / 088 models
Big saws for a bigger job / service, thats all
must need a tune or has a air leak, never had a prob with mine.... my mate has a 084, done a lot of milling with it, good saw, i'd buy a good one over a 880 ...prefer my 3120 tho

Never had a problem with mine but a few of the Australian ex hardwood fallers have said that when hot you stop the 3120's with the choke to fix the vapourisation issues.

Thanks Matt, I will pass it on. This guy has been around for a fair while, but I have heard this saw has issues when hot, especially nothern temps
:msp_thumbup:

You can thank Neil (ausneil) for that 3120 hot start and choke tip. Pretty common problem apparently and if I remember correctly came from a Husky service tech who used to race 3120's with Neil.

Latest posts

Back