32 inch bar on 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlcuts

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone run a 32 on an 044? I run a 24 normally but want to get a bigger bar for a job on a bi g fir. I would like to run a 32 but i dont want to over load the saw. Would a 28 be better?

I've done it on a couple of jobs I did back in '06. Ran a 32" on my 044 for about 2 days worth of cuttin'. Doug fir... so the saw didn't mind too much at all. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis though.

My 044 usually wears a 28" bar and I have a 25" for it as well.

Gary

Another vote for the 28". I've seen 32s on 044s used for bumping knots but they just didn't have the power for falling and bucking anything big when the bar was buried. If you get in a position where you really have to hammer the saw through the wood to prevent a 'chair or a slab-out the saw won't do it.

How big is your fir? Can you go at it from two sides with a 28? Maybe you could borrow a 660 or a 390.

Last edited:
The fir is about 4 feet at the base. I would have to double cut it even with a 32 so i think i will go with a 28.

A 044 with a 32" bar and a good sharp chain is fine. There is a lot of 044's in my neck of the woods running 32" bars with full skip.

A good fir tree, is a good test for any saw, good choice like said and you will do fine the 044 is no slouch.

I concur with 28". I run a 28 on my 044 in super hard Kansas hedge, and with full comp chain thats all it wants. I have 2 skip chains and 3 full comp. I prefer the skip for hedge. I tried a 32" on it and no joy. Too much for 70cc saw.

I've got some photo's of a 52' ash dropped with a 25" bar. No big problem in doing it, I agree with the rest a 28" would be much better on a stock 70cc saw. I run a 25" the majority of the time on mine, but we simply don't have many trees were you need much more. The 32" bar stays under the seat most of the year, it's lucky to see daylight two or three days a year. One tree doesn't hardly justify the expense as high as bars and chain are these days.

You get pulled over, and the 32 inch bar under the seat, may be looked at as a dealy weapon:biggrin:

Anyone run a 32 on an 044? I run a 24 normally but want to get a bigger bar for a job on a bi g fir. I would like to run a 32 but i dont want to over load the saw. Would a 28 be better?

Around here the 32" bar is the defacto for the 044 in fir. All our saws come with the high-output oiler and the saw has plenty of power for all the commercial fallers to make a living with the 32" set-up.

Latest posts

Back