325 or 3/8 on a MS 260?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pea

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When buying a MS 260. Do they usually come with .325 or 3/8 chain when you get them new? I have read talk on here about people switching from one to the other.

pea

up here they come with .325 and like i said before if you can square file well go with the 3/8's but if not them stay with the .325 in you are cutting hardwood

325/ 3/8

Pea, when you order or buy the new saw tell the dealer or saw builder what you want and what you're going to use the saw for otherwise you're not going to get what you want/ need to do the job. If you haven't noticed, the saw builders/ dealers want to know what you are going to use the saw for so they can build it to do the work/ racing it was intended for. They want you to be happy with your purchase and come back and buy more. The big problem is a lot of the guys buying the modded saws don't know what to ask for cause they are first time buyers. If you don't know what to ask for at least tell thedealer/ saw builder what you are going to use it for. The same goes for what chain you use, you have to know what you want the chain to do for you. What are you going to be cutting with it and how hard do you use it? Do you know how to sharpen it if it's dull? If you don't know how to sharpen square buy round, it's easier to sharpen.

That .325 is for the birds. Go for the 3/8th's square ground. If I coulld figure out how to file it anyone can. Your saw will cut so smooth you'll bag that round ground like a cat shot in the azz.

The 260 can handle the 3/8th's. We all know the 346xp can.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
A stock 026 will cut best with a .325 chain, period.

Why the blanket statement Mike with that resonating "PERIOD" at the end?
There are a number of different profiles of .325 chain, some of which are pretty dinky for a stock 026. If you have other saws that are on 3/8 it is a convenience factor to run the same bars and chain on your 026. There are some places like brushing where a less grabby tooth is nice and the 3/8 low pro semi chisel chain which takes a 5/32 file is very sweet on the 026 and runs on the same 3/8 setup.

Frank

picco

Now i believe we found out that lo pro 3/8 (Stihl calls it picco)chain is not exactly .375 pitch in a previous post. Seems to work OK, but it will wear sprockets prematurely

Hey Wayne,

I'm not saying you're not seeing the wear.  Stihl lists, in their current catalog (p. 32), 1640 drive links on a 100' roll for each of the 3/8" chains, including Picco and PMN.  Is the 100' length just nominal?

Glen

I bought a loop of nominal 370 lo pro chain and measured it as closely as possible compared to new .375 and ther is no difference in pitch. It pulls around the sprockets as smoothly as pie so is not clashing with the sprockets. The very bottom of the drive tang is shortened but the drive flank that contacts the sprocket surface seems to have the same contour. I contacted Oregons technical department asking why the different pitch designation, but received no reply. I am sure that if you put it to work on an 066 or other big saw you would get premature rivet wear compared to full pattern 3/8 and then it would start to bite the sprockets. If anyone has any first hand info to the contrary, I would be interested to hear what it was.

Frank

Frank,

I don't care <i>what</i> Tommy Fales Jr. says about himself; you are <b>the man</b>!

Glen

Hey Mike is this chain .325 you almost took you leg off with. Wasn't this clip pulled because you showed no concern for safefty. Here again is another example of members knowledge.

Back