339XP Clutch too tight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtheo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My 339XP stopped oiling. No problem, I cleaned it all up, blew out some gunk and then started the saw to watch the oil supply hole. Pumping oil. Good.
Put it all back to together and the saw would not start. Not only that the compression was so strong the saw would barley turn over.

It took a while to find the problem, and I even started wondering "did I straight gas this saw?"

So I dumped some gas out of the saw in a jar, and OK the gas is colored.

I had to take a break at this point, and it came to me. Maybe I got the clutch too tight.

That was it. Loosened the clutch up some, and now everything is back to normal.

Maybe this will help some member if they ever have this to happen.

When you say clutch to tight do you mean the clutch locked on the sprocket?( chain revolving all the time )A clutch loose on the the thread will on revving the saw will fly off as said in earlier posts did you omit to fit a washer/spacer or re assemble incorrectly?

When you say clutch to tight do you mean the clutch locked on the sprocket?( chain revolving all the time )A clutch loose on the the thread will on revving the saw will fly off as said in earlier posts did you omit to fit a washer/spacer or re assemble incorrectly?

How did I get it too tight? Taking the easy way and spinning the clutch off and then back on with a impact wrench.
I have done that for years. Someone at Bailey's once posted that was the way they did it.
You don't have to pull the plug and put in a piston stop.
As for checking assembly, I got out the service manual with diagrams to be sure I had that part right because the first thing I thought was I have got something wrong when I put it back together.

I started not to post this, but I thought,"what the heck" this might make for an interesting discussion".

I have been off here for a while but I decided I need to get back in the game.

I'm sorry it was Sunday & I was obviously suffering Brain Fade if you have the saw up together with bar/chain fitted & just nip up the clutch, running the saw in wood will tighten the clutch, it's running it without a bar chain that the clutch takes on flying saucer mode .If the clutch is not tight, I still cannot understand that even with impact wrench tightening it would tighten/lock up saw if the correct spacers/washers were fitted in the correct places.

You put the clutch in upside down or backwards (which ever way you want to look at it)??

I'm sorry it was Sunday & I was obviously suffering Brain Fade if you have the saw up together with bar/chain fitted & just nip up the clutch, running the saw in wood will tighten the clutch, it's running it without a bar chain that the clutch takes on flying saucer mode .If the clutch is not tight, I still cannot understand that even with impact wrench tightening it would tighten/lock up saw if the correct spacers/washers were fitted in the correct places.

Okay, that is good information to have. I have never had that to happen, so I am going to think that I had something out of place when I put it together the first time. I took it apart and checked the shop manual to be sure I put it back right and then it was just fine.

This is one of the reasons I posted this, to get some input from the guys that know more than I do. Thanks

This is a great bunch of guys who have helped me many times over the years.

You put the clutch in upside down or backwards (which ever way you want to look at it)??

Yep, I had to have done something wrong the first time, but guys like you and others have helped me with that.

I will say this about myself. I am 75, and it's hell to get old, but it beats the alternative.

Seriously, Staying active, working outdoors and running my saws keeps me healthy.

Dad is 81 and going, he's constantly doing something and running a saw is one of them, just have to keep an eye out for him cause sometimes he'll grab a saw that he don't need to be using. Still runs the tractors and work on the fences. All that helps keep him going.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Yep, I had to have done something wrong the first time, but guys like you and others have helped me with that.

I will say this about myself. I am 75, and it's hell to get old, but it beats the alternative.

Seriously, Staying active, working outdoors and running my saws keeps me healthy.
Now that I am looking at the clutch (should of done before I commented) there is probably no way you installed it backwards. Heres a ipl screen shot
636c6959a292a2e659f6a486393d1475.jpg

Now that I am looking at the clutch (should of done before I commented) there is probably no way you installed it backwards. Heres a ipl screen shot
636c6959a292a2e659f6a486393d1475.jpg

Yeah, that one won't go on backwards, but I did something wrong, because I took it apart and then put it back looking at the manual and it all worked like it should. Like I said about myself, getting old is hell sometimes, but I won't give up. Never have, never will.

Dad is 81 and going, he's constantly doing something and running a saw is one of them, just have to keep an eye out for him cause sometimes he'll grab a saw that he don't need to be using. Still runs the tractors and work on the fences. All that helps keep him going.

Good for him, I hope to still be running a chainsaw when I am 81.

I'm the same age as your Dad & have the good fortune despite Pacemaker & Stents to totter to the workshop to service saws, sharpen chains etc.& keep 10 saws & some other logging gear up together for a commercial logging company, just takes a little longer. Hope to keep pottering for as long as I can, have cut the bench legs down so I can use an office swivel chair to sit rather than stand to work, ongoing problem,have to beat the Labrador dog to the chair as he's taken to sitting in it, I'm going to have to buy him one as well ,should be OK in the not to distant future as come the time the wood burner gets lit he will be hogging the front of that, until he gets so hot he has to go and lie outside until he cools off & then back in front of the stove.

Latest posts

Back