346 OE with a compression release valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did notice the difference in the top cooling fin between the 2 saws, but every IPL I looked at showed the same shape cylinder top fin, like a generic pic of a 346 cylinder. In fact there were no transfer bulges or covers of any kind shown on the cylinder either.

I did notice the difference in the top cooling fin between the 2 saws, but every IPL I looked at showed the same shape cylinder top fin, like a generic pic of a 346 cylinder.
yes, they dont spend money to picture detail small changes, they never had on any saws.
Those small details are up to us to learn.

I did notice the difference in the top cooling fin between the 2 saws, but every IPL I looked at showed the same shape cylinder top fin, like a generic pic of a 346 cylinder. In fact there were no transfer bulges or covers of any kind shown on the cylinder either.

Generic is exactly what a lot of the illustrations in IPLs are.

On the parts site I looked at, no picture of the cylinder is shown at all when you click on the numbers.

You would think that with the cost of a cylinder and the variations, you would at least get a photo of it.

Is there a Jonsered cylinder that fits on a 346 and would be worth the swap? Just for future reference. At first I thought that might have been a possibility on this saw.

That is by no means meant in a bad way. I used Jonsereds a lot in the seventies, and put a lot of wood on the ground with them when we were cutting pulp for the paper mills. Damn fine saw!:)

Is there a Jonsered cylinder that fits on a 346 and would be worth the swap? Just for future reference. At first I thought that might have been a possibility on this saw.

Yes, as the Jonsered saws have been a version of a Husky model for a while (gradual development about from 1982 to 2003).

2147 = 346xp 45cc/42mm
2153 = 346xp 50cc/44.3mm
2152 = 353 (52cc/45mm)
2149 = 351 (49cc/44mm - mostly open port, but at least a few late 2149 closed port, made the same way as the 353 cylinder).

The top ends interchange between all those models, and the plastic cased 350/2150 as well (originally 49cc/44mm open port, EPA version 52cc/45mm closed port with "dished" piston top).
The 44.3mm cylinders aren't a straight bolt on on the 350/2150, but it is a very simple job - basically a little grinding inside the case (to make room for the large transfer bulges) and finding the right bolts.
All the top ends can be put on the 340/2141 and 345/2145 as well in the same way as on the 350/2150, with the addition of some 350/2150 parts.

So the 2147- 53 - 52 are all closed port, flat top piston interchanges, correct? Direct bolt on ? ( sorry if you have been asked this before).

So the 2147- 53 - 52 are all closed port, flat top piston interchanges, correct? Direct bolt on ? ( sorry if you have been asked this before).

Yes, 2147,2149,2150,2152,2153 is direct bolt on.

Depends on what you want to bolt them on of course! :lol:

If it is a 346xp, the answer is yes to all - but if you want them there is another question!

Depends on what you want to bolt them on of course! :lol:

If it is a 346xp, the answer is yes to all - but if you want them there is another question!
good point, I took it as granted that he wanted to bolt them on 346 case :) with the prices they have in US nowadays it would be kinda retarded to buy anything else then an NE C&P for an 346 case ;)
Speaking about cylinder difference and how to spot what is what I've probleby learned more by googling pictures compared to read on chainsaw forums lol

good point, I took it as granted that he wanted to bolt them on 346 case :) with the prices they have in US nowadays it would be kinda retarded to buy anything else then an NE C&P for an 346 case ;)
Speaking about cylinder difference and how to spot what is what I've probleby learned more by googling pictures compared to read on chainsaw forums lol

Google often is helpful - but as always, don't assume everything you read, see or hear is true. ;)

I wasn't thinking of putting a Jonsered p/c on the 346. I was wondering, originally, if maybe a Jonsered might be what is on it. If I had a J cylinder laying around, in good shape, I might have put it on. Possibly someone else thought the same thing. I think you fellers have proven that idea wrong.

Google often is helpful - but as always, don't assume everything you read, see or hear is true. ;)
agree, but for those who want to learn all small details it take alot research and reading to see them.
I know you know alot when it goes to JRed/Huskies but you have worked for your knowledge ;) I dont think many realize that fact :)

I wasn't thinking of putting a Jonsered p/c on the 346. I was wondering, originally, if maybe a Jonsered might be what is on it. If I had a J cylinder laying around, in good shape, I might have put it on. Possibly someone else thought the same thing. I think you fellers have proven that idea wrong.
JRed and Husky is pretty much the same saw, colour, front handle bar, chain brake handle and a few other small things are the different.
Husky always release a new model first, JRed comes later, most times they have sorted out the baby sickness by that time
Even I prefer Huskies vs JReds it's easier for me to get JRed parts where I live.

agree, but for those who want to learn all small details it take alot research and reading to see them.
I know you know alot when it goes to JRed/Huskies but you have worked for your knowledge ;) I dont think many realize that fact :)

+1 on that. I can only imagine how much work it took, considerable would be an understatement!

Latest posts

Back