346Xp new or old edition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlavalley

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a buddy looking to get a new 346XP. The dealer has both new and old edition in stock for about the same price. I have the old edition, don't know much about the NE. What is the difference?

The NE has bigger bore and more displacement, decomp valve, primer bulb, fancy gray clutch cover. Overall it will be a better all around saw, more grunt and still great throttle response, just not quite as high a revs as the OE. For the same price it woul be a no brainer, or NB to choose the NE. :givebeer:

Scott

If you get the NE, which I recommend as well, make sure it doesn't have a cat muffler, or prepare to replace it. The cat muffler makes a dog out of an otherwise great saw. If the saw has a green fuel cap, it likely has a cat muffler.

BTW, another difference is that the NE will have a rev limited coil. An unlimited coil can be purchase and easily replaced for about $30-$35 used.

Thanks guys. I will pass the info along. The price difference is $20. I'll have him check to see if the fuel cap is green/and or cat. I'm guessing an older 346 muffler would go right on? Ebay looks like a cheap source for good used stuff.

I'm guessing an older 346 muffler would go right on?

Yes. It's easy enough to open up the cat plate to. If you're concerned about the particles, put on a mask. Then drill several large holes through it. That's basically how the 3357 muffler is constructed inside. It has a baffle plate with a large hole in it. So this mod should flow fine.

The NE has bigger bore and more displacement, decomp valve, primer bulb, fancy gray clutch cover. Overall it will be a better all around saw, more grunt and still great throttle response, just not quite as high a revs as the OE. For the same price it woul be a no brainer, or NB to choose the NE. :givebeer:

Scott

:agree2:

Latest posts

Back