346XP Not Running Right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazz3ring

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a new 346XP with 2.5 tanks of fuel through it. Every so often (maybe 1 in 10 or 15 cuts) as I hit the throttle and put it in the wood it stalls and starts to spit and sputter and sound like its going to kill for a second or two. When I release the throttle and take it out of the wood it begins to idle just fine and then works great for 10 or 15 more cuts.

It has also done this a few times when I have hit the throttle with the saw being out of wood and under no load.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what might be causing this? It sounds like the saw is not getting enough fuel for a second or two every once in a while.

Did the 420 ever do that!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

May need to open the low speed a bit or check the tank vent.
You should be able to see it on the clutch side of the saw between the two halves of the saw. There may be a hose going to a white nipple. Pull the nipple out and jamb a long o-ring pick down into the bottom under where the nipple was pulled out from. They have a habit of not venting well. I have seen a few 2152s and also a 2153 do it.

Where's Troll when you need him!!:monkey:

Are you running premium fresh fuel? If you have any doubt on your fuel toss it and start fresh. I have seen our shop gas that gets mixed fresh just about every day cause problems because it accumulated moisture. The ethanol in regular gas collects moisture from the air and hangs on to it. Failing that I agree with the tank vent.

Mine sounds like it's going to blow up:dunno:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid701.photobucket.com/albums/ww11/CHEVYTOWN/VIDS/3inchbaffle.flv">

My brother had a 346 at work run weird. Tried a bunch of stuff including a new plug. Nothing helped. Tried another new plug. Runs great he says.

Grandpatractor and Heavy Fuel,
After your comments about the 420 and 5100, if I am reading between the lines, I believe you are sending a hidden message about my decision to go with a 346XP. LOL

The fuel is freshly mixed 91 octane non ethanol with Klotz R50 and sea foam so I don't think it is the fuel. The fuel has been running great in my 7900.

I will back out the L needle and see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't correct it I will then look into the tank vent.

It will be a a day or two before I get to run the saw again so I will report back then.

Thanks for the advice.

After your comments about the 420 and 5100, if I am reading between the lines, I believe you are sending a hidden message about my decision to go with a 346XP. LOL

The fuel is freshly mixed 91 octane non ethanol with Klotz R50 and sea foam so I don't think it is the fuel. The fuel has been running great in my 7900.

I will back out the L needle and see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't correct it I will then look into the tank vent.

It will be a a day or two before I get to run the saw again so I will report back then.

Thanks for the advice.

why the f are you putting sea foam in with your fuel :confused: that seems pretty stupid

Thanks for the advice.

You'll have to ask SawTroll about that one:jester:

You thinking tank vent hole ???

Exactly. Same as TRI955's 2153.

For those who may not be aware, a number of tank assemblies were cast with the tank vent closed off. So essentially they didn't have a vent. I've seen it on a half dozen 350's, two 2153's and this is the first 346. The fix is real simple, but it can drive you nuts trying to find it.

For those who may not be aware, a number of tank assemblies were cast with the tank vent closed off. So essentially they didn't have a vent. I've seen it on a half dozen 350's, two 2153's and this is the first 346. The fix is real simple, but it can drive you nuts trying to find it.

Wouldn't cracking the fuel cap test for that?

Can someone post pictures of this fix .........

Latest posts

Back