346xp OE Peek @ piston. Look OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just me, but using switch bright on aluminum hurts more than it helps.
I worked for a long time in an engine plant where chainsaws would easily fit inside one engine cylinder. Scotch Brite was banned from coming onto company property.

What would be a good carbon removal chemical that doesn't harm aluminium (or ah loo ma nim)?.

Check your auto parts stores and ask them what they can get that is similar in your area.
I have, their reply was that they don't carry bulk cleaning products (the product I wanted) as it's flammable, implying that I can buy multiple aerosol cans of the same stuff they did stock instead.

I’ve scotchbrited probably 500 chainsaw cylinders. I run a scotchbrite mandrel sized a little bigger than the bore after I’m done porting every cylinder and then flush it all out with mineral spirits in the parts washer. For carboned up pistons I use scotchbrite rolloc discs along with some penetrating oil to remove it from the crown and mandrels to clean it off the skirts. But everything is flushed out well in the parts washer afterwards

Piston looks fantastic, machine marks are still there.

Gently clean off the carbon with some fine scotch brite and treat it to a new ring.

scotchbrite the cylinder walls too.

pop the c-clips out and inspect the small end bearing, replace it if you’re unsure.

New c clips, clean the gudgeon pin and finish off with a pressure and vac test. New carb kit, lines and filter and it will last another 20 years.
Thanks Vintage. At some point I'm going to put a big bore in there, but it looks like what's there has a few more years in it to give!

I’ve scotchbrited probably 500 chainsaw cylinders. I run a scotchbrite mandrel sized a little bigger than the bore after I’m done porting every cylinder and then flush it all out with mineral spirits in the parts washer. For carboned up pistons I use scotchbrite rolloc discs along with some penetrating oil to remove it from the crown and mandrels to clean it off the skirts. But everything is flushed out well in the parts washer afterwards
Would be nice to see what that Scotchbrite/Mandrel setup looks like. Perhaps take a picture when you do cylinder #501? :)

Back