346xp OE Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a weird problem for sure....

I say swap out to a fresh carb and try that next...

I have an echo that did the same thing and I rebuilt and tweaked the carb twice and fixed it with a brand new carb

I will try pulling the vent and see if that helps. I'm 99% sure that is the problem. If that doesn't help I will swap carbs. I suppose the fuel line could be pinching shut under flow too, causing a lean condition.

Tank vent it is. Pulled and ran without it and it runs great now. It was still a little wonky so I swapped the Zama in and it runs much more stable. I got it tuned and cutting nicely. This project has been a roller coaster ride but I guess that is to be expected considering it's my first legit rebuild!

Thanks for all the help along the way, fellas. Video coming shortly!

20160723_154218.jpg 20160723_154320.jpg

I seem to remember an old build thread by Master Mind where the vent needs to be modified to allow more flow after the muffler mod and porting. If memory serves its as simple as enlarging the opening in the tank slightly and reinstalling the vent. Glad you got this sorted out, sometimes you just have to be more stubborn than the saw.:)

Yeah, that mod involves drilling a 1/32" hole behind the vent down into the tank. Not sure where to find a bit that small though!

I got a new vent for the saw but after looking at the two pieces I'm wondering if they are supposed to go in a certain direction or not? There seems to be a coating on one side, I would think that side faces inwards to prevent fuel from pentetrating it?

Do you have a picture of where to drill the tank?

Thanks!

Also, I have done what you said, I put the slick looking side in towards the gas, which I think is correct. It worked.

I'm really not quite sure where exactly to drill the hole, but I do know it needs to be very small and angled downward into the tank. So it cant be that far back into the opening. Finding a 1/32" bit is a bit of a challenge and I imagine they are very fragile as I've broken my share of 1/16" bits.

Put a new vent in last week and the saw runs perfect now. It got a nice little workout today, I cut a decent truckload of dead, dry hickory with it. It's had about 3 or 4 tanks run through it so far. I cut this whole truckload on a tank...gotta love 50cc saws(ok, 45cc)!

20160812_120029.jpg 20160812_134234.jpg

Digging up this thread because this saw has developed an issue and I need some advice! Saw runs fine until it's turned on its side and RPMs at idle pick up slightly, not enough to make the clutch engage but definitely noticable. If put in a felling cut it will start out fine but quickly begin to bog down badly until the chain won't turn. I assume this is due to a slight leak in the crank seal? I replaced the fuel line with the hope that a pinhole leak was causing the condition but no change. Checked carb and cylinder bolts which were properly torqued. Anything else I need to look at before I tear it down to the crank once again?

I have learned my lesson with this one, I knew I should have replaced the bearings and seals when I was in it but took the easy/cheap route and now I am regretting it!

TIA fellas.

Digging up this thread because this saw has developed an issue and I need some advice! Saw runs fine until it's turned on its side and RPMs at idle pick up slightly, not enough to make the clutch engage but definitely noticable. If put in a felling cut it will start out fine but quickly begin to bog down badly until the chain won't turn. I assume this is due to a slight leak in the crank seal? I replaced the fuel line with the hope that a pinhole leak was causing the condition but no change. Checked carb and cylinder bolts which were properly torqued. Anything else I need to look at before I tear it down to the crank once again?

I have learned my lesson with this one, I knew I should have replaced the bearings and seals when I was in it but took the easy/cheap route and now I am regretting it!

TIA fellas.

seals are cheap and only take 25min to half hour to replace during a lunch break if you know what your doing. probably an hour if it's your first time. i've seen quite a few of these with the plastic impulse nipple cracked at the partition where it inserts into the rubber. any bit of twisting the boot on the cylinder has the potential to crack it so a guy has to be careful.

Latest posts

Back