346XP Piston Diameter Specs (350 Husky Upgrade)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonypete

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I signed up not to long ago once I scored a free Husky 350 EPA(45MM) chainsaw. I have already tore it apart and did a little porting to her. Now im at the stage where I buy just a replacement piston since I didn't turn the cylinder into a paper weight :)

On Bailey's Website the only 346XP piston I see is 44.3mm.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=MPA+PC2095&catID=10961

On Fleabay the only 346XP piston I see is 44.1mm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...390191717256&ff4=263602_304652#ht_1906wt_1139

Granted I would prefer to order from Bailey's, are they just not listing it correctly or do they have another 346XP piston in a 45MM size thats not being listed on thier website??

Thanks Guys,
- Pete

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Granted I would prefer to order from Bailey's, are they just not listing it correctly or do they have another 346XP piston in a 45MM size thats not being listed on thier website??

Thanks Guys,
- Pete

Use a 353 piston. Flat top instead of dished, correct size.

Yea thats why I was going for a 346XP as there flat top as well and supposedly the correct size from what I seen in a few other threads. but upon looking around to actually buy one there listed at a different diameter.

Looks like Baileys don't list a non-OEM 353 Piston (OEM = $78 ouch)

Any brands you recommend for a cheap 353 piston, like for GOLF for example??

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/350-353-chainsaw-piston-kit-GOLF-fits-Husqvarna-353-/390169197806

- Pete

Hey Guys,
I signed up not to long ago once I scored a free Husky 350 EPA(45MM) chainsaw. I have already tore it apart and did a little porting to her. Now im at the stage where I buy just a replacement piston since I didn't turn the cylinder into a paper weight :)

On Bailey's Website the only 346XP piston I see is 44.3mm.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=MPA+PC2095&catID=10961

On Fleabay the only 346XP piston I see is 44.1mm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...390191717256&ff4=263602_304652#ht_1906wt_1139

Thanks Guys,
- Pete

No 346xp cylinder is 45mm - I believe the NE ones are about 44.3mm, while the old ones are 42 if memory serves. You need the NE346xp cylinder as well, to use the 44.3mm piston.

They got other facts wrong as well, in that Ebay ad.

Use a 353 piston. Flat top instead of dished, correct size.

:agree2:

I've been running a Golf 353 piston in my 2150 for a couple years now without any problems.

Neither one of the 346 pistons will fit your 45mm 350 cylinder.

If you can wing it, consider going for a 346 NE P & C. Not sure if there's complete aftermarket available for the NE? But you'll have a 346 NE for a lot less than a new one...

:agree2:..........Neither one of the 346 pistons will fit your 45mm 350 cylinder..........

100% correct, you will have to buy the P&C if you want to go this route, otherwise if your cylinder is the 45mm one buy the flat top 353 piston, put it back togeher & cut!

Yea, its a domed piston and the top of the cylinder has 45L stamped on it. So it should be the 45mm(52cc) Husky 350.

- Pete

Okay guys I rebuilt my saw with a 353 piston. She basically started right up. I didn't get a chance to compression test it prior to starting her up for the first time. but I did test her after her first warm up. I give it three hard rips and the gauge shows 100PSI. Which seems pretty low even for new rings. I haven't actually cut anything with her yet as I have nothing to rip into for the time being.

Do you think the compression will go up after a couple tanks of fuel?? I also gave the less accurate compression test where I let it dangle while I hold the starter cable and she will slowly drop to the floor.

- Pete

Comp. will go up some after running it a bit. Nothing ridiculous though. Pull until the gauge stops going higher when checking comp. Congrats on the re-build.

Alright re-tested it till PSI stopped going up. And highest reading I got was about 112 PSI. So if I gain a few PSI once the ring is worn in and seated we should be looking at least 120 PSI, which isn't too bad I guess. I really need to set her into some wood next time I start her up, huh?

Wonder if idling and blipping the throttle during her first 10 minute warm up hurt me with wearing the piston ring in.

- Pete

Be sure to check at WOT so that you’re getting the most flow.

I have two compression gages that I don’t put much faith in. I usually only see about 120psi but the saws run fine.

Umm, did you read my latest posts? :Eye:

I already got the 353 piston and installed it and she is running ;) No way I would go the 350 piston route now, don't feel like ripping her apart again heh.

Umm, did you read my latest posts? :Eye:

I already got the 353 piston and installed it and she is running ;) No way I would go the 350 piston route now, don't feel like ripping her apart again heh.

Yes, but not the second last one.......

120PSI is still well on the low side, I doubt if it will have much power if that reading is correct.

The issue could be the compression tester though, and the attachment on it - some of them will read low on chainsaws.

Last edited:
Yea, I'm gonna re-try with the throttle trigger taped wide open and see if that gives a better reading.

I tried the ol' hang by starter cord and it would hold for a split second through each compression cycle and then drop. so was fairly slow to reach the floor. I've read slow is good, but then again I've heard others say it should not drop at all. *Shrugs*

- Pete

Sawtroll,
Just read this little tip below, which probably explains my low reading. My compression tester was for my car. Its basically just a screw in tip attached to a host about a foot long. Then it has an pressure hose release end that attached to the release valve with the gauge above that.

"Make sure you use a tester with the shrader valve in the tip - if not the compression will read low - very low on a small saw."

I tried the ol' hang by starter cord and it would hold for a split second through each compression cycle and then drop. so was fairly slow to reach the floor. I've read slow is good, but then again I've heard others say it should not drop at all. *Shrugs*

- Pete

That method is not very accurate, as there are too many variables - and the 350 is a light saw......;)

Latest posts

Back