346xp problems. wont stay running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vincem77

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got an older, maybe around 2000 model year 346xp. It has cut good for me for about a year now, but I went to help a friend with a willow tree today that need cutting down and after a while it wont stay running. I cut for about 2 hours with no problems, screamed like normal and then suddenly didn't want to stay running for more than a few minutes. I would move the fuel line in the gas tank around some and it would come back on for 30 seconds or so but wouldn't consistently run. I dont think its a fuel mix problem, although it wasn't fresh bought that day gas.

Where should i start troubleshooting?

I would get a 4mm allen wrench and pull the muffler just for the peace of mind. The earlier a scoring cylinder is caught, the better the outcome.

Tank vents can be quickly eliminated by cracking the fuel cap when it is giving the problems.

Check to see if the fuel line is curling up in the tank. If it still does it with a full tank of fuel, then you can eliminate this as a possibility.

I would then replace the fuel line and filter...fuel lines get softer as they age and can collapse under power.

If none of these fix the problem, you need to clean the carb and throw in a new carb kit while your at it. I would definitely remove the welch plugs and soak the carb in carb cleaner.

Thanks for the quick replies. Im thinking it could be fuel filter, since its a cheap part I wont mind replacing it even if it isn't bad. I pulled the filter and blew into the fuel line and didn't seem to leak, but im sure that didn't mean much. The fuel line still curled up in the tank. My first thought was bad fuel and scored piston, pulled the plug not the muffler but didn't see anything too bad.

Change the vent, fuel line and filter.

And keep a close eye on the intake boot as they shake loose and leak and cause a lean seize with no warning.

The new style has a metal clamp and works better.

Fuel line was the problem. Only this section was damaged, Im assuming from the difference in vibration from engine and fuel tank. Replaced the fuel filter while I was at the dealer. Thanks for the input.
Jsgcl.jpg

The two most common models that I see with that exact issue would be the 346 and 350. Pretty much every saw pre 2006 is needing a new fuel line by now anyway. No matter the make or model, ethanol does not descriminate.

I'll bet you noticed that the part of the fuel line that was outside the tank was very stiff, hardened (explains the cracks, the line has dried out due to ethanol). And the part inside the tank was very very soft and squishy. Just another reason we don't need corn in our fuel. If we didn't have corn in our fuel..... the so called "shortage" due to the "drought" wouldn't be so bad and we wouldn't be looking at some hiked up prices.....

Last edited:
Back