346xp RPM (slow)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Farmerbuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting over 13000 rpm with my new edition 346xp with the limiter caps on. I took the HI cap off and screwed the screw all the way in to check it and it is only a little more than 1/2 turn out. What do i need to do to get the rpm's up?

First.. unless you know about tuning, leave the screws alone.. that's the best way to burn it up. If this saw has a limiting ignition, you are not going to get reliable readings when you hit the limiter. A Husky guy will need to fill you in on the details.

Second.. if it's new, take it back to your dealer..

Two months old. The new edition non epa.

should be 14,700.

could be a farked coil (limiter), flywheel key (timing), bu66ered carb (too rich at top end). i suggest taking it back to where you bought it... get them to muck around with it. Unless you are a dealer?

somtimes theres cr@p from manufacture in the H jet that makes you think its seating, when its really 2 turns out. dont force it, just give it a clean.

should be 14,700.

could be a farked coil (limiter), flywheel key (timing), bu66ered carb (too rich at top end). i suggest taking it back to where you bought it... get them to muck around with it. Unless you are a dealer?

somtimes theres cr@p from manufacture in the H jet that makes you think its seating, when its really 2 turns out. dont force it, just give it a clean.
Yea i think i'll take it to the dealer tomorrow. Not sure what they know though.

If you hit the limiter (no matter where it is set) your tach may well show low readings... much lower than actual, and leaning out the saw to try to get there will burn up your nice new saw.

Last edited:
Not 14700 for the 50cc new edition, they are limited at 14100, and performs best at 13800-13900 according to Ed H.

They keep the revs up in the wood, as opposed to relying on very high initial rpms, like the old one.

Even when woods ported, it didn't need more than 14200 max rpms (old coil), to beat anything else in the 50cc class (first attempt, Rocky Js saw).

Last edited:
I would take it back. I had a new (old edition) 346 when they first came out that would not rev over 12,900. The dealer said to run it alittle to see if any change. After 2 weeks it would only turn 13,200 and then only with the H jet in all the way. Dealer gave me a new one and sent the other back to the distributer. Take it back.

I would take it back. I had a new (old edition) 346 when they first came out that would not rev over 12,900. The dealer said to run it alittle to see if any change. After 2 weeks it would only turn 13,200 and then only with the H jet in all the way. Dealer gave me a new one and sent the other back to the distributer. Take it back.

Yes, or do what Ed said (not here)......:)

Ok,now it is at about 13800 with the H screw out about 1/2 to 3/4 turn. I wasnt real impressed with the dealer I took it to. His tach (or whatever you call it) was junk. He really doesnt know what to do to it. He just stood there and watched me do the adjusting. But like I told him....he (or his boss) gave me the permission to remove the limiter cap. So if anything goes wrong they should warranty it,I hope! Not sure what to do myself. Guess I'll run a few more tanks through it and see. I know i just use it for firewood but and it cuts great but i'm the type that wants things to be the way they're suppose to be if not better.

Heck I guess i shouldnt want it to run too good. Sure wouldnt want it to outcut my 359 when i get it back from FourPaws! lol lol

Heck I guess i shouldnt want it to run too good. Sure wouldnt want it to outcut my 359 when i get it back from FourPaws! lol lol

That is probably just what it will - sorry.....:ices_rofl:

..unless that 359 is modded, and depending on the bar and chain set-up on both...

Last edited:
That is probably just what it will - sorry.....:ices_rofl:

..unless that 359 is modded, and depending on the bar and chain set-up on both...
Well it wouldnt outcut with the 359 before i sent it to fourpaws so i'm betting when Josh is done with it,the 346 will be a little farther back. Even though I have a lot more rpm now. Time will tell.

Well it wouldnt outcut with the 359 before i sent it to fourpaws so i'm betting when Josh is done with it,the 346 will be a little farther back. Even though I have a lot more rpm now. Time will tell.

It always will....

Good luck, I have done what I could for you...:)

Last edited:
This sounds like a story about a saw that's getting pushed to detonation.

We set our 346's at 14,000 max and never look for the last 500 to 700 RPM's. I don't see any benefit to putting it "on the edge", and it won't cut any better at the limit anyway.

Setting these things must be done with a digital tach, and you have to know when you are up against a rev limiter. Usually when the tach reading starts jumping or freaking out.

Think about what you are doing here. Continuing to turn in the hi is leaning out the saw regardless of what the tach is showing. Be careful with your new baby.

Removing the caps does not equate to over leaning the saw and burning it up. Why should someone else pay for your pea brained mistake?
Pea brained mistake?? Now look here tinker bell....the dealer tried to get the cap off by prying it off with a screwdriver. I told him it wouldnt work that way.

Latest posts

Back