$35 ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac B.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I clicked on craigslist the other night and 15 minutes earlier a guy put a 361 on for $40 that he said was for parts. Since I have a 361 I thought I could not go wrong so I called him. It did not have a bar and chain and he said he thought it was about to lock up because it was so hard to start. I went the next morning to get the saw. He met me and I looked at the saw and saw that the clutch drum was crooked where the chain brake had been on and built up enough heat to melt the drum bearing. The decompression valve was on so I could not get a good feel of the compression, the saw was $40 so I did not stress over this. I asked the guy if he would take $30 and he counter offered with $35 and I said OK. I then went by the dealer and bought a new bearing for the drum and a rim for the drum. I then went home and put gas in the saw and tried to crank it and it fired up. I checked the compression and it was 155 lbs.. I did end up having to buy a fuel line but it now runs great. I think the guy did not know what a new saw was supposed to feel like. The plastic is in mint condition as is most of the other parts.

The only thing I can see wrong now is the chain will not stop spinning at idle. It idles down low but still will not quit spinning. I was wondering if the clutch springs got hot and sprung or what?

I will post pics tommorow
Mac

If I idle it down any more it will not stay running. Do you think I could just change the springs?

Mac

I think you're correct on guessing that the clutch springs got hot. I would try a set of springs before I spent the money on the clutch unless the whole business looks fried. I assume you cleaned the clutch up? Debris in there can cause the condition you describe. (shaving of wood, piece of plastic from previous bearing cage, etc). If it's all clean, try the springs. Even if the clutch is worn, it should disengage at idle.

Absolutely the most "unbelievable" post/thread I have read this year...

And I do emphasize the word ..."UNBELIEVABLE"...!!!!! Bickered on $40...!!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

I actually bead blasted the clutch and cleaned it well and it still done this, that is why I was thinking springs.

As far as being unbelievable, that is why I have all the saws I have with not alot of cash spent.

Mac

I'd also replace the crank seal on the clutch side if it got hot enough to cook the bearing it may have cooked the seal.

I don't want you to sink anymore $ into that money pit. I'll give you $50 and pay the shipping and you can send it to me. Wouldn't want a fellow member to stress over a saw repair. ;)

Unbeleivable score. What burns me most is that years ago I probably watched deals like this go by and had no idea what I was seeing. Now that I have been using saws for a few more years and been on here for a year or so and know a little more I never see this stuff. :angry:

Crap, now that I think of it my brother had an old Stihl that he got rid of some time ago, DOH!!!:bang:

Good for you though!

Carl dont feel too bad, it took me alot of years to get a deal like this and this is the best I have gotten. My second best deal is the 026 pro that I got for $60.

Mac

Last edited:
Beefy Muffler Mod

Did you do that huge second port out of the muffler, or did it come like that? It does look pretty cleanly done in the pictures.

What a score! Nice saw.

I did the mod myself, but welded up the factory hole. I made the new hole 9/16", just a little smaller than the inside diameter of the 3/4" conduit I used for the pipe. Thanks for the kind words.
Mac

Latest posts

Back