357xp It wont cure cancer, but it does cut wood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Been there - done that:givebeer:

Do prefer the 357 though. Funny thing is I can't actually tell why:confused:

Well, it may handle a bit better for limbing, despite the added weight, because of the outboard clutch etc. Less power is harder to get around, but it isn't really a lot of difference (.2kW in Europe) - so other factors may make up for it - like the chain.....

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
I've never had a MS361 in my hands, but did compair a MS362 to a 357xp at the dealer and liked the feel of the 357 better. Was slimmer/smaller and seemed lighter also.

I'll get my hands on a 361 some day, but I'm really waiting on the 560xp :cheers:

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I've never had a MS361 in my hands, but did compair a MS362 to a 357xp at the dealer and liked the feel of the 357 better. Was slimmer/smaller and seemed lighter also.

I'll get my hands on a 361 some day, but I'm really waiting on the 560xp :cheers:

The MS362 probably feels heavier than it is, because of the bulk - that is an issue with all newer Stihl saws, starting with the MS441.....:censored:

Old "strato" technology takes its toll, the 560/562xp may be the first of a new generation - time will show! :cheers:

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
i have a 357 and 361. the 357 is very nice, but if i'm usinga 60cc saw, it is the 361. mine is a tick faster and definitely lighter, and i really prefer the in-board clutch of the 361.

Well, my Euro MS361 is a real racer for limbing, with an 8-pin 3/8" and a 15" bar, with RSC - not smooth, but really fast!

By now I prefere a different saw for that, but not because anything is wrong with the 361 - it still is faster!

Farmertim

Farmertim

ArboristSite Operative
I was never disappointed with my 357xp--it is a fantastic saw for a variety of cutting. I don't know why but I liked the feel of it in my hands compared to the ms361, although I have never had the chance to cut with that saw:mad:. Your saws are looking sharp to boot sunfish!
:cheers:
Tim

avason

avason

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I love my 357..it does rip through wood. I'm going to try an 18 inch bar..I bet it does even better. I have to tell you that it does get a bit heavy for limbing. I use my 353 for limbing..wish I had a 346xp:bowdown:

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
272super:
I also have a 357xp with 18" bar. Really love that saw. I was curious-what did you use for your outlet cover on the 346xp muffler? That is the route I would likely go. simple and effective.
I made the deflector on my 346 out of sheet matel (steel). But like Murph said, 288 deflector works well and would be easier.

avason I love my 357..it does rip through wood. I'm going to try an 18 inch bar..I bet it does even better. I have to tell you that it does get a bit heavy for limbing. I use my 353 for limbing..wish I had a 346xp

Yes, the 357 does rip though wood! It's basically a high performance 359. Mine is faster with an 18" bar, but it might have more to do with the chain? (I have different chain on each bar). It's a great firewood saw but get ya a 346xp also! You wont be sorry!

A couple guys called the 357 a "turd" in my first thread. They were so very wrong!

:cheers:

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
Finally got around to doing a muff mod on the 357. Wow! It rips real good and made a big difference. Been running it hard lately and I got to say. I like it a lot! :pumpkin2:

357mm.jpg

ss357.jpg

Last edited: