36” Alaskan upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACPequipmentservices

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im currently running a Granberg 36” Alaskan with a ms880 but I’m needing to mill some wider logs. I was going to just order the 60” rails and have the extra room for wider logs. But I’m only needing to mill 42” material at this time. My question is for some of y’all running these longer rails is it harder to mill with when you don’t need the extra length?

Is it worth getting the 60” rails but run a smaller bar? Easier on saw and me? Thanks for any advice!

I agree with Bob. I've never had a problem with longer rails.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice guys! Think I’ll go with the big rails and run the needed bar for the appropriate log.

With that said, should I just go with the 56” rails to fit a 60” bar? Or is the 880 capable and safe to run a bar bigger than 60”?

Thanks for the advice guys! Think I’ll go with the big rails and run the needed bar for the appropriate log.
With that said, should I just go with the 56” rails to fit a 60” bar? Or is the 880 capable and safe to run a bar bigger than 60”?
The 880 can go go bigger but I suspect a really long railed mill could eventually become awkward - to handle and transport.

From my limited experience, I think it's wise to get a little bigger. Always better to have too much rather than not enough. I always get a helper with the bigger logs so the longer rails are actually beneficial. As Bob said, it gives the helper a nice handle for moving the unit. I think the bigger consideration would be bars and chains. That's where things can get very expensive. Also a lot more sharpening. An auxiliary oiler might be needed too at that length but they're cheap.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Back