361 Oiler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what he said

My 361's oiler was lame from the day I got it. Took it back to the dealer, he said it wasn't oiling enough and they put a new oiler in under warranty. I'm still in the same boat. I use maybe 1/4 of a tank of oil for every tank of premix. Dunno what the answer is.

my useage is about the same.
tried to turn the oiler up only to find it was up already!
in a few days/week or so i should see my upgrade parts arrive. you realise of course you can still turn it down after it is upgraded! it's not like i want oil running off the bar (i said that but was joking), but i would like to see maybe 1/2 or so tank oil to 1 tank fuel with 20" bar.

Last edited:
my dealer took my bar and drilled it a few sizes bigger where oil go's into bar. works:greenchainsaw: alot better .

I'm using some pretty cheap bar oil actually because it runs so well in the cold. usually i use the ol orange jug. Maybe thats the problem?

I'm not so sure you need to run Stihl bar oil and all that. Bar oil around here is winter grade (10wt.that pisses out pretty good) or summer grade. Both of my Dolmars are prodigeous oilers. Can get a little messy I suppose but I prefer it too not enough. They both have adjustable oilers but I have em turned up all the way. I use about 3/4 oil tank too a tank of fuel.

I don't own an MS361 but I think your problem is that the bar is gummed up. I'd remove B&C throw the chain in for a soak while I cleaned the bar up. scrape the channel out and make sure the oil port is open, give the sprocket a grease and fit back together. You'll be good to go.:clap: :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Worked all day with the 361 after giving the bar a good scrubbing. Cutting firewood from 8-10" alder and fir; non-stop running it damn hard. I'm still using up the bottle of cheap runny oil and with the oiler on high.
The saw averaged a little less than 1/2 tank oil to mix. No smoke at all but its still not as fast as I'd like it to cut (do need to put in a carb kit:cry: ).
Seems like it should go thru more oil but I guess if it aint broke (yet:)) Don't fix it)

Now I need beer to stop the buzzin hands.
L8tr

:cheers:

My 361's oiler was lame from the day I got it. Took it back to the dealer, he said it wasn't oiling enough and they put a new oiler in under warranty. I'm still in the same boat. I use maybe 1/4 of a tank of oil for every tank of premix. Dunno what the answer is.

The answer is you take it back and make them fix it...

The 361 puts out only slightly less oil than the NON-WRAP 460...

When I first got my 361 I didn't think it was oiling enough. I watched the bar and chain and they seemed okay and I was using about 3/4 of a tank of oil to a full tank of gas.
It just doesn't throw out gobs of oil like a lot of saws do. I have probably four hundred hours on it now and haven't smoked a bar or chain yet.

summer oil

the one variable in my oil output is the oil weight.
i have been putting stihl oil in it, but: i cut it with some sae20 that i had laying around to thin it a bit. even if that is the problem, it does not explain the fact that the first tank of oil was used at the same rate. i don't know for sure but i would assume the dealer put winter oil in it as i bought it in the middle of winter.

I really think the real problem here was the tree. It looked like sap build up. That sap would slow anything down. If your saw uses 70-100% of an entire oil fill up to one take of fuel, it's not going to get much better. I cut a green pine once that my 360pro had trouble. Switched saws to a Mac timberbear, Same problem, different saw.

I put the 460 HO oiler parts in my 361 and don't start with the thing turned all the way up!!! Its a gusher. But for dry big wood, just turn it up and then back it down afterward. I would like to keep playing with the thing and see exactly how much I can turn it up before I'm cutting it close to running out at the same time as the gas. It is a good mod and even with a semi short bar (20") it keeps the bar cooler than not.
Now the only other problem I have is it seems to clog the oiler hole in the bar pretty easily.
The oiler job isn't very hard, first time I had the saw apart to that extent and I did it in about a 1/2 hour. Only issue I had was pulling out the bronze bushing. Gouged up the outside, but that doesn't ride on anything.
Just keep an eye out for that.
Chad

Latest posts

Back