362 SERIES II VS GOOD OLE' 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The strato saws do seem to have more torque...460 vs. 461 for instance. But the electronic carb is what I have no interest in. I can see why they are going that route...emissions, fuel economy and theoretical reduction in top end failures due to lean mixture. But all I see is the inability for someone without diagnostic software to straighten out one of these saws when they act up. They are turning something simple into something way more complex...kinda like they did with flippy caps :dumb2:

I feel ya buddy , but if you have a good running computer saw they are kinda hard not to love.

The easiest way to tell the new series II is to look at the cylinder , it cants towards the rear of the saw. I don't know the exact angle but I'll guess at about 30° . And my local dealer has 5 of them. It's funny I had to show the manager how to tell the difference, he didn't know he had any..

So I'm definitely going to sell one of mine, I gotta get a new one....gotta represent...also if anyone is looking I finished a 200T last night and boy is it a screamer! After hours of testing with mixture and heat ranges, it likes to run fat with a 8 heat range plug, hotter than a 6 which it calls for, but I did up the compression a little and de-burred the piston and ports. Very snappy and gained quite a bit of mid. I'll make a video. I plunged the 14" bar effortlessly into some very wet fir right to the hilt with no struggle. Kinda like my girl ..
Anyway if anyone is looking for a MS200t that is all OEM and just completely rebuilt and blueprinted. Give me a holler. It should be worth about 7 bones with the new 14".

The easiest way to tell the new series II is to look at the cylinder , it cants towards the rear of the saw. I don't know the exact angle but I'll guess at about 30° . And my local dealer has 5 of them. It's funny I had to show the manager how to tell the difference, he didn't know he had any..

.... .

As far as I know that cylinder doesn't actually "cant" at all, it is just the cooling ribs that are made in such a way that it looks like it does, if you don't look closely?

The purpose allegedly is to save weight, which is fine by itself - but I wonder what impact it has on the cooling of the cylinder?

Hmm. It looked like it leans back to make room for a way bigger/better muffler. And the intake port is a different amgle also..guess I will know for sure pdq

The strato saws do seem to have more torque...460 vs. 461 for instance.
The 461 is not a strato saw in the same sense that the 362, 261, 441, and most other true strato saws are. The only difference in the 461 is that it is long transfer ducts feeding from the front of the cylinder. Other than that, it's ported very similarly to the 460.

I have a 361 of my own and use a 362 carb model regularly for work and can say definitively that.........there is no noticeable difference. We also have a 362C-M and once again, there is no discernible difference. I keep the chains sharp and the carb models tuned well and the MTronic keeps up just fine. All saws are set up the same with 20" bars and reduced kickback chain.

On this note the 661 MTronic at work actually runs a bit better than my own MS660 with a muffler mod. It sure as heck burns less fuel and I think makes more power to boot. Mind you, personally, I would hesitate to buy an MTronic saw just yet (unless the right deal popped up) but I do enjoy using them when someone else would be footing a bill for any MTronic tomfoolery.

The 461 is not a strato saw in the same sense that the 362, 261, 441, and most other true strato saws are. The only difference in the 461 is that it is long transfer ducts feeding from the front of the cylinder. Other than that, it's ported very similarly to the 460.

Interesting, I was under the impression that the 461 was a strato...I've run them just never dug into one. Good to know, Brad...thanks.

I was all set to go shell out 769 tomorrow, but now I'm having second thoughts, I agree with you on the M-tronic, it looks good on paper but in the real world... they are harder to sell, I have to consider that, I do sell chainsaw's for a living/hobby. If there is really not that much of a difference, except for being prettier, I would rather doll up my girl at Victoria Secret. I'm going to call Milo at Beaverton Stark Street and tell him I'm going to wait for the carburetor model to show up, or he gave me the regional buyer's Name who's out of their Tualatin Store- Ryan Sale, and call him to have him make sure I get one.
Thanks all who commented on this quest for info,couldn't have done it without you.!
Side note- I found a Jonsered 630 last night that I forgot about that is in real nice shape, good compression and all- is it worth anything? How much should I ask? I'll admit, I know 0 about them. It seems to be pretty light & compact and it's pretty smooth running too....any input always appreciated. :)

I sent my 361 to Terry Landrum without running it enough to say much about stock performance other than it wasn't noticeably much different than my well used 036Pro. My 362s seem to have more torque than the 036Pro but also seem to be slower. The most notable difference has been the fuel economy of the 362s. The ported 361 will eat the lunch of either of the other two models in their stock configuration. Of course if it didn't then it would be wasted money.

All that said if I were going New and staying stock, I would give the Husky a close look.

Ron

And it's a quad instead of a dual and twice the saw a 460 is.
To me anyway

The new 362 is a great saw and lighter than most any 60cc plus it's mtronic and ports very well,takes a good 361 to hang or beat it

MS362C MkII owner here.
It's the best saw I've ever owned so far. With an 18" it can through wood that would defeat other 60cc saws bar the 562XP. It's a real pleasure to use and I am one of those persons who are prejudiced against Auto-Tune and M-Tronic.

Buy it over a 361? It depends. It does everything better but unless your 361 is nearing the end of the road or need something bigger than a 60cc saw I would keep it: your saw is fully paid for by now.

PS: I'll check the serial number when I get home today. All I know is mine was made in Germany in August 2016 and is EuroII compliant.

Back