372 vs 576

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Jeremy stated I do not want auto tune.

I already have a mint early 036, no need for a 362.

What length bar?
It would wear an 18-24" most times. I have a 288 to run large bars if needed.

I think I'm going to hold off for now. I got the 036 out last night to wipe her down for pics. I fired it up and immediately changed my mind on selling it.

Thanks for all the input.

In my experience, my computer controlled Mustang has been the most reliable one of the 10 I have owned. I'll take good technology any day of the week.

Reliable starting, smooth operation, great fuel mileage and HP & Torque totally disproportionate to the size of the little 281 cu engine (runs like a built big block with the Super Charger and Variable Cam Timing).

Yea, and my 044 was remarkably smooth after I strapped a 10 lb harmonic balancer to it ... JUST KIDDING. But I have noticed that the Husky fans that mercilessly bashed the wt of the 441 are being remarkably silent about the heft of the 576 AT!

Nother good reason to go for the 372! ;)

All of my wise-arse remarks aside, I just think the technology is too new. Was just at my local Husky dealer last saturday to pick up a few things. My friend who works there was talking with me about trading my 357 in on a new 562. I get the reasons they are going Auto-tune and all, but he did admit it has had it's growing pains. There have been quite a few updates to the system and it does seem as though they are working it out. I fully acknowledge that computer controlled cars and trucks are extremely reliable, perform great, and are fairly efficient for the power they make. But let's not forget, this stuff has been developing and improving for decades now.

But I will say one thing, I would much rather put wrenches to my '78 Chevy K-10 than the '06 Silverado that sits next to it in the driveway. There isn't a single thing about the old truck I can't work with if it breaks down. Can't say that about the '06 mainly on the electrical/computer side of things. But as I mentioned before, it is very reliable so I have not often been in the bind of being forced to take it to a shop because I don't have the diagnostic equipment and/or tools required to do it myself. I am just not ready for this kind of thing with a saw. Maybe it is because I am the type of person who does my own tweeking and repairs?? Maybe if the person who would rather have a shop do the tweeking and repairs, the Auto-tune is a good option.

Different strokes. But it won't be long and we won't be having this discussion about regular vs Auto-tune because the choice will no longer be there.

Nice summary, but the debate will be around for a while because, as you pointed out, saw tech is lagging behind the cars, and saws just seem to last a lot longer than cars! There are non AT saws are still being sold, and they will be around for a long time.

I used to be able to re build an engine from top to bottom, but the new cars intimidate me (yea, the electronics), but the new one has been so trouble free it has not been a problem. It has 115,000 miles, and has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Nice summary, but the debate will be around for a while because, as you pointed out, saw tech is lagging behind the cars, and saws just seem to last a lot longer than cars! There are non AT saws are still being sold, and they will be around for a long time.

I used to be able to re build an engine from top to bottom, but the new cars intimidate me (yea, the electronics), but the new one has been so trouble free it has not been a problem. It has 115,000 miles, and has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.

I agree with everything you have said except for what I highlighted.

Reason: The biggest factor in pushing the saw makers toward these systems is emissions regs. We are just seeing the outdoor power equipment equivalent of what the auto industry was first to be saddled with 30 years ago. Remember how performance was a shadow of it's former self from the late 60's and early 70's when the first emissions regs were imposed on them? It took them time, but they have found ways to make cars and trucks meet the requirements and still perform. You have fleet average MPG and emissions requirements that the industry has found ways to remain in compliance with.. But I don't want to go too far down this rabbit path lest we get too far off-topic.

The point I make is that the outdoor power equipment sector is now being saddled with emissions regs to meet. I THINK (need to verify) that they have to meet "product line" standards that for the time being allow them to still offer some "less efficient" models based on product line total average. As the regs get stiffer over time, you will see non-AT saws dropped one by one and replaced with AT saws.

The shop I go to sells Husky, Stihl, a little bit of Dolmar and used to sell Echo. The owner goes to trade shows and attends factory seminars and things of that sort fairly frequently. I remember him telling me personally that this was coming a few years back. He told me about catalytic mufflers on chainsaws before I ever heard of one being offered and told me about the product line standards that would soon be imposed. I don't have any reason to believe he would make things like this up.

I guess if you boil it down, my biggest reservation about newer things like this is if they are the result of regulatory imposition, or free market demand. When regulation imposes certain things happen in an industry"or else", many times the product doesn't work out so great because it was sort of rushed as opposed to well thought-out products that emerge as a result of organic free market demand.

Phew... Dang I ramble sometimes!! Apologies to the OP...

Get the 372! :D

Ok I'm looking to buy a new saw. Debating between Husqvarna 372 and 576 and Jonsered 2172. I have a pre xtorq 372 and 2171 now. I love them both. So my question is do I want another 372 or a 576? The 372 is coming in at 70.7cc and 13.4#. The 576 is coming in at 73.5cc and 14.5#. Is the 2.8cc gain worth the 1.1# increase? Obviously the 2172 red version is the same as the 372. Decisions decisions!
Here's another option . Send your 372 or Johnnyred out for refreshing and major porting , sve hundred$ of dollar$ , and enjoy it for a long time ;-)

Back