372xp First build up project, what next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch cut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
View attachment 203526

I got a used 372 in the spring with barely any compression and a few other problems and have been fixing it up. Got it running stock about a month ago and ran it in. Just added a port to the muffler and man is it loud and a bit faster as well. Larger dogs and HD springs are other additions. This winter I plan to add a full wrap and paint the rusty muffler, and possibly the big bore kit. Not a whole lot of exciting really, but it loves to cut trees. Anyone have any advice as far as what mods are a good fit for the 372 to be run as a felling saw primarily, as well as bucking 20-30" stems?

The 372 is a fine saw the way you already have yours.

Don't get too carried away with mods just for the sake of doing it. You will eventually have a saw you do not like.

Nothing like having a full wrap handle bar or huge dogs and discovering they are not practical for your use?

Point Taken

Good point, although I found the stock dogs were bested by just a bit of dead bark and I found the larger ones a fast improvement if a bit overkill. I often wish to have a full wrap for felling so I can stand to the right of the tree and backcut more comfortably. Is a full wrap a waste of money or do others find it useful?

I think you may be right about the big bore etc, it may be just a bit overkill and a waste.

Have fun with your new toy......just have to ask...........why the larger dogs and secondly why the hd springs. What type of wood are you cutting and what is the terrain like?

The dogs are because I was cutting a lot of dead birch that I couldn't get leverage on because of the smaller stock dogs. The HD springs are really just because the stock ones were getting squishy and needed replacing anyway. I'm not sure there is really that much difference? I have been happy with both so far, although the bite on the dogs takes some getting used to and I lost a full inch off the bar.

HD or heavy springs are mainly used by those cutting hardwoods and frozen hardwood as they help lessen the abuse of chatter on the mounts but wreak havoc on ones hands.

Around these parts of the NE, big dogs are never seen, nor are wrap handles,and most dogs left the saw years ago and either went bare for that extra bar length, or kept a bumper strip.
No matter how big the bark is, you have a trimming tool in your hands, skim the tree to remove the bark if its an issue and get cutting.

In most cases I persoanlly find dogs on a saw a hinderance, and yes even on my felling saw.

I swear by the HD mounts in my 372s. Just the other day I set my 372 down and grabbed dads 371 with the "soft" mounts in it. What a difference. But like someone earlier mentioned, the HD's wreak havoc on your hands. I never used to wear gloves in the summer cutting until I put the HD's in. Now I almost am always looking for gloves by the time lunch rolls around! But the difference in saw responsiveness in the cut is extraordinary.

Around here its half wraps, 20" bars, single inner dog, or bumper strip, or some case just the outside dog. A good sharp cahin and u dont need to use dogs at all.

Good point, although I found the stock dogs were bested by just a bit of dead bark and I found the larger ones a fast improvement if a bit overkill. I often wish to have a full wrap for felling so I can stand to the right of the tree and backcut more comfortably. Is a full wrap a waste of money or do others find it useful?

I think you may be right about the big bore etc, it may be just a bit overkill and a waste.

I have put in a lot of time with full wrap handles, and recently bought a 372xpw with a half wrap. The versatility the full wrap gives you is a plus in more demanding/dangerous cutting situations (fire fighting, snag removal, steep terrain). For general purposes though (weekend cutting, firewooding, etc) the half wrap is fine. You can still cut from the right side of the tree, just use the top of the bar. Takes some getting used to, but for general use, I don't think its worth the $100 the full wrap costs.

As far as large dogs go, I like them...especially when cutting a Humboldt cut in a 30" doug fir with 3" bark on either side. Not always interested in spending 10 minutes spraying bark dust all over myself.

Latest posts

Back