372xp oiler o-ring location?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have my 372 almost 100% complete now but I knew I was forgetting something so I went back through the IPL and workshop manual until I figured it out. When I disassembled the clutch/oiler I distinctly remember there being a o-ring, though I have managed to loose the old one and my Baileys gasket kit does not have a new one. Where exactly should this o-ring go? Does anyone know if I can get a replacement at the local hardware store or am I going to have to go to a dealer? What I have is a bushing that slides over the crankshaft and engages with the crank seal, a thin flat washer that sides onto the bushing, then the oiler goes down around that and the oiler drive gear "screws" down onto that.

I have just finished rebuilding my 372 and I don't remember seeing an o-ring near to the oil pump. How big is this o-ring?

geoff.

:monkey:

Part # 503263019 is the one I think you are referring to. Very small little bugger. It slides on to the crankshaft before you put that bushing on.

Part # 503263019 is the one I think you are referring to. Very small little bugger. It slides on to the crankshaft before you put that bushing on.

I bet that is what I am looking for, from what I can remember it was pretty thin. I knew I had seen one but I wanted to double check to make sure I was not just crazy or what I seen may have been part of the old crank seal. I had found the part number on the 2007 IPL but neither the IPL or workshop manual really stated exactly where it was suppose to be.

Another question. Would it cause problems if I were to say.... Forget to install this o-ring? Would it cause a air leak? I figure the bushing is pushed into the seal but does this o-ring somehow seal the bushing to the crankshaft? I know it may seem like I am just trying to be a "cheap-azz", but that is only because that is exactly what I am doing.

It will very likely cause an air leak if you go without. I don't know if there is some sort of grease that is firm enough to seal it. I only found out there even was an o-ring after my 372 failed a leak test with air leaking between the shaft and bushing-right where the o-ring would seal it at base of bushing.

You need the small o ring to be air tight between "inside"of the bearing and the inside of the bushing.The seal only keep air tight outside of the bushing.

Yes. Id put it on there. I just changed the very one on my 372, because of a VERY VERY small air leak between the crank and that bushing....and use a little grease.

That is about what I had figured and I would like to say that the person, or persons, who designed this setup did not think it through to well. That bushing could have just as easily been made as part of the crankshaft. I will go by the dealer tomorrow and see if I can pick up a couple of those o-rings, need a couple other parts anyway.

That is about what I had figured and I would like to say that the person, or persons, who designed this setup did not think it through to well. That bushing could have just as easily been made as part of the crankshaft.

I agree 100%. As much as I like my 372, Thats gotta be the stupidest idea that they could have come up with.

I am working on putting the same seal in and I am having a hard time at understand where this little bugger goes. It looks like to me that the spacer is slid on the crankshaft, seal installed, then this O-ring flat washer then slides onto the crankshaft spacer resting on the lip before the seal????

The o-ring slides all the way down against the inner bearing race. The o-ring seals the spacer to the bearing and the crank seal seals the spacer to the crankcase. Be careful because the o-ring is very thin and is easily damaged when installing the spacer. Grease the end of the spacer to keep from cutting the seal and do not twist the spacer or it will cut the seal.

Last edited:
The o-ring slides all the way down against the inner bearing race. The o-ring seals the spacer to the bearing and the crank seal seals the spacer to the crankcase. Be careful because the o-ring is very thin and is easily damaged when installing the spacer. Grease the end of the spacer to keep from cutting the seal and do not twist the spacer or it will cut the seal.

Okay I am going to have to take a picture tomorrow to make sure I have got it right. I get what you're saying but it doesn't look like it makes sense.

-Chris

I just smeared some permatex ultra copper inside the bushing and slid it on the crankshaft. It looked too easy to pinch that o-ring. The screws that hold the oil pump to the crankcase need sealer on the threads too. those holes go all the way through to the inside of the crankcase and will leak a little air around the threads.

Like This?

2012-04-20_13-42-34_831.jpg

That's what mine looked like.

I smeared the o-ring in plenty of 2-stroke oil so the collar would have less chance of tearing it as I installed it and tightened the clutch down onto it.

Not sure why it's so complex - only benefit was it made getting the oil seal out much easier.

Help

So I have tried with 3 unsuccessful attempts at getting this seal to seal and haven't got any luck. I can get the seal to seal on the outside of the seal to the oring that sits on the shaft. HOWEVER, I can't get it to seal between thecrankshaft and the oring. Does anyone think the crankshaft could be junk?

Sorry to necro a thread here, but I've built a pile of these saws and never SEEN one of these o-rings. How did I miss this part????????????????????????????

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/oring-p-618273.html

was vac testing today and found a leak... between the crank and the bushing. i'm going to seal this up with some gasket maker, but jeez... this is dumb. now I gotta go out a buy a pile of these stupid rings.

Sorry to necro a thread here, but I've built a pile of these saws and never SEEN one of these o-rings. How did I miss this part????????????????????????????

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/oring-p-618273.html

was vac testing today and found a leak... between the crank and the bushing. i'm going to seal this up with some gasket maker, but jeez... this is dumb. now I gotta go out a buy a pile of these stupid rings.
It's a good thing you did cuz I got this 365 apart and tested it before tearing it down, it held 7 lb of pressure forever but would hold no vac at all, I decided to deal with it after the rebuild.
Since these are the same as a 372 I will stay tuned.

John

Back